Home Precious Metals

Gold/Beer ratio

derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Historically the median is at 87 litres making the “beer purchasing power” of gold at the moment above average.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2011 an ounce of gold only bought 2/3rds as much beer as in 1980, yet the gold price was double. Hmmmmmm. Interesting.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I really like your new sigline. :)

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah.. the much revered beer/gold ratio. Now, is there a wine/gold ratio? I am far too lazy to work one up myself, however, I would assume (there's that word again) that it would track in a similar fashion - though for wine, liters would be more appropriate. :) Cheers, RickO

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Ah.. the much revered beer/gold ratio. Now, is there a wine/gold ratio? I am far too lazy to work one up myself, however, I would assume (there's that word again) that it would track in a similar fashion - though for wine, liters would be more appropriate. :) Cheers, RickO

Those are liters of beer in the graph... ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman....True, but wine is more expensive than beer/liter...... especially good wine.... Cheers, RickO

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now yur talkin. Finally something I can understand.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    In 2011 an ounce of gold only bought 2/3rds as much beer as in 1980, yet the gold price was double. Hmmmmmm. Interesting.

It's called "Beerflation!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.