Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

June Pickups

DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allow me to kick this off. Just arrived.

Beyond pumped to finally own the poor man's T206 Wags, and centered!

This card always struck me visually, as it's the only "card-sized" Flying Dutchman portrait that uses the same profile as The One (w600 uses same profile yet is larger size).

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's a great way to start the month! Fantastic centering. The old tobacco cards look so good to me when centered this well and with that kind of corner wear. I've been contemplating starting a 1910 C56 Hockey set just like this in nicely centered and worn 1s and 2s.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I just picked up a prescription.

• Options

@travis t said:

Hope it clears everything up for you as advertised.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a great looking Wagner. :+1::+1::+1::+1:

The image and the centering are really nice.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

@travis t said:

Hope it clears everything up for you as advertised.

Kevin

Yeah. Needed a stronger dosage. But, at least the hallucinations are mellowing out. ;)

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

AWESOME looking Wagner. Congrats!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2017 3:57PM

@divecchia said:
    Wow, that's a great looking Wagner. :+1::+1::+1::+1:

The image and the centering are really nice.

Donato

Thx, D and D. This also just came— sweet mail day. I only recently learned about this fascinating and scarce card; thought it had great personality, and loved the rarity.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great Wagner pickup!

While no cards, I do have a great shot of him on a baseball board game from the early 1900s.

Mike
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2017 9:08PM

I picked up a couple of matchbooks from Mantle's motel - it goes great with my Mantle oddball stuff.

The good news? They're in great shape.

Mike
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet Wags. congrats on landing an incredible card. I would be pumped as well. Great start to the June thread.

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Just picked this up, what do you think it will grade?

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

WOW!!!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

As some of you may remember I started collecting as an adult a little over a year ago. I started with the intention of buying a few old Sabres cards for my man cave and that was it. Then the bug bit and, well... I don't have to explain it to most of you. Anyways the central focus of my collecting has remained '70s Sabres with special attention given to Gilbert Perreault, Richard Martin, and Rene Robert. Together their line was called "The French Connection".

The first graded card I purchased was a 1970 OPC Perreault RC in PSA 6. At the time I didn't think I would ever be replacing it as I hadn't full understood what the grading scale represented or many other things about collecting. Shortly after buying it I knew that it was only going to be a place holder until I tracked down a nicer graded copy. I figured I'd grab one in the next few weeks. Well fast forward 6 months and I hadn't seen one card for sale higher than my PSA 6.

Here is the pop report:

It's a tough card to come by. He is a HOFer and it is his rookie card but even more than that it is one of the hardest cards from the 1970 OPC set to find in mint condition. Combined that with the 1970 set being one of the most competitive hockey set registries look out! This is from an SMR article with updated numbers:

"The Perreault rookie, in comparison, is much more elusive in pristine condition. Of the 77 graded (215 Now), there has been just one PSA 10 and two PSA 9s (3 Now). Henninger points out that this card – like Stanfield – was in the top row of the first series sheets. "The centering top-to-bottom seems to be the biggest issue," said Holt."

Finally I saw a 8oc show up and I grabbed it because I though that it could possibly go to a seven without the Q. I decided to wait a few months and see what else popped up before I cracked it. That's when a PSA 7 copy showed up. It wasn't a particularly nice copy so I passed.

Then last week came. I found a PSA 8 copy. The price was a high so I was going to let it sit for a bit. In the mean time I went on VCP and pulled up all the images of the other 8s that had sold which is 13 of the 25 copies. I realized that the one for sale might very well be the best and if not at least in the top two. Well that meant its trigger time.

With only 3 9s and 1 10 out there this one may be with me for a bit. But........ the hunt continues. The 3 higher cards are all tied up in other peoples set registries so its going to take a little creativity to acquire one of those. But the dream is alive.

Mr. Perreault arrived today!

Kevin

• Options

Kevin,

That's a nice looking Gil Perreault. :+1::+1:

Congrats on your pickup.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options

@LOTSOS said:
    Well that's a great way to start the month! Fantastic centering. The old tobacco cards look so good to me when centered this well and with that kind of corner wear. I've been contemplating starting a 1910 C56 Hockey set just like this in nicely centered and worn 1s and 2s.

That's a nice set to work on. I have only one card from C56 - purchased a Raw Fred Lake in 1990 for $25. I have some other projects in mind but plan to join you in this one within the next year.

• Options

Nice score with the Perrault. Wise move to pull the trigger on that particular 8. Looks great.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Wagner and Perreault.

Here is a new addition to my collection.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

That Unitas is sweet.

Lotsos. I appreciate you bring some fresh hockey love to the board. I bought two boxes of the 2016-17 Upper Deck hockey to rip as my first foray into modern. There have been some really strong rookies the last year or two. What do you think is the best box to buy right now in modern type hockey with a budget of a few hundred trying to score an auto,rare insert etc?

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options

Right now I'd go with SP Authentic. If you hit any of the Leafs rookies you'd be doing well. There are Future Watch Autos (FWA), Acetates, FWA Patches, Young Guns and more cool inserts.

It is by far my favorite bang for the buck hockey product. Right now it's about $125-$140 a box.

Good luck and let me see the hits!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Love the Tip Top Boy. That is not a card you see posted everyday. The Wags is pretty sexy as well.

I've been cobbling this set together for some time and had a bunch come in recently. The more I watch the modern game the more I get pulled back to the 80's when basketball was actually amazing. Almost done!

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I'm not buying much lately, but I did pick up a bear for my collection. I read about these guys and it's kind of sad. Many of these guys pay a price later in life for having played football.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

Nice Perreault! I don't think that centering gets you a 9, but maybe an 8.5 if subbed for a bump attempt?

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@CenteredMantles said:
    Love the Tip Top Boy. That is not a card you see posted everyday. The Wags is pretty sexy as well.

I've been cobbling this set together for some time and had a bunch come in recently. The more I watch the modern game the more I get pulled back to the 80's when basketball was actually amazing. Almost done!

I'm working on this set in sealed bag form as well. Is that GAI Jordan a single or the Bulls bagged set?

• Options

@TheMick said:
    Many of these guys pay a price later in life for having played football.

Yes they are. Probably not to the same extent as football, but hockey guys too. There's bunch that are suffering from previous head shots. For hockey I'm curious to see how the guys from the 80's and 90's fair. They stopped checking and started hitting, BIG difference. Sad to see.

I didn't do it for a living but played in college and then only shinny after. At 42 there are way to many times I end up standing in my pantry trying to remember what I went in for then I'd ever admit to anyone other that an anonymous Internet forum. Guess that's what happens when you get K.O. for the first time at 9. :s

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Centered Mantles - that's a nice collection of star sets and Jordans. The NBA glory days.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Speaking of centered Mantles, I just picked up this one. Not perfect, but close enough for me.

• Options

An upgrade to my set.

Been working on this set since 04 - tough to find all the cards well centered.

Mike
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took advantage of the 8% ebay bucks promotion i got last week and picked up a future HOF for my set.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

Nice cards all around.

I really like the centering on the Dick Howser. :+1::+1:

Donato

• Options

Thanx Donato.

Here's the one it replaces.

I'm not going for 9s as such - just picking the card with the better centering. Tho this one was 85 bucks - which isn't that bad.

Mike
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

Nice pick up !
    Those 70 OPCs are tough to find centered and clean like yours.
    I am having a tough time finding a Bobby Clarke centered with a "Clean" cut on the right side
    (always looks short and mushed)

Congrats
    Bill

• Options

Mike definitely a trade up with the Howser. Sweet looking card!!!

• Options

@JBrules said:
    Mike definitely a trade up with the Howser. Sweet looking card!!!

Thanx David.

Mike
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2017 7:27PM

This is a pickup in the sense that I finally got around to building it.
    Just hope to find a way to keep it. A white whale showed up. May be forced to sell this to pay the whale off.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been out of town the last couple months. These are cards that I bought while I was gone but just picked up today. The 1968 All Stars are upgrades for the 9s that I have in my All Star set. As of today I have 11 of the 20 in PSA 10. The 1963 Fleer and 1964 Stand-up cards are for my sets. The others are just cards I picked up.
    James

• Options
    edited June 16, 2017 8:49PM

Geez James - what a haul!

Very, very nice cards.

I'm sure you know I'm a big fan of these 63F's.

That's one of the nicer centered Drysdale's I've seen - good show.

Mike
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Mike. I have been watching the 63 Fleer cards that you have been adding. I noticed how picky you are when it comes to centering. I try to be the same. I just received this Red Heart Martin a little while ago. It will replace the PSA 8 in my set.
    James

• Options

Nice pickups everyone. Here's my haul.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djr said:
    Wow, James :+1:

That is a sweet PSA 9 Jordan rookie - nice pickup!

KC

• Options

• Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Sweet Koufax!!!

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 9:39AM

After using the 8% ebay bucks on the Pujols, I got a 10% ebay bucks promotion not long after and used it to get this Cabrera! It'll be my last pickup for quite a while, so I'm happy to get this one. (sorry about dust on the scanner and the case has a few small scratches to)

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

My best wax pull ever = 2017 Heritage Trout Throwback = WAHOO!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

These came in today.

• Options

• Options
    edited June 21, 2017 7:33AM

With new PSA Label

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

UGH!!!!!! I wish I had the cash for some of these pick ups. I just purchased a ton of cards and awaiting arrival.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 10:38PM

like the rose and the new flip!!

post a back scan if ya dont mind...

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

A May pick up but finally getting around to snapping a couple pics.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these up recently and tonight was a rainy evening with nothing to do and finally had some free time to crack open the mail - been coaching since March and have a small breather. Nice thing about waiting is it is like surprise when I opened them since I forgot what they looked like :D