Home Precious Metals
Options

OT.....Lost package USPS

cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

A package was sent to me from SIOUX FALLS, SD 57104 on 2/17/17, accepted at 11:36am at that location. That package arrived at at USPS Destination Facility ATLANTA, GA 30369 on 2/19/17 at 1:08am. On 2/22/17 at 8:08am the package was sent to Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center because it was undeliverable. On 2/24/17 I filed out a detailed "missing mail report" with contents of package, and serial numbers of the contents, color, size, shape. In that report I stated that 2-25oz Bars of Engelhard Silver, serial #26544, and serial #027675 is what was shipped. Every couple weeks or so I would receive an email from USPS saying: "The US Postal Service® received the search request you submitted and it's being processed. Your package has not yet been recovered, but every effort is being made to locate your item(s)." The last email I received from the USPS in regards to my package was 5/28/17

On 5/30/17 (3 1/2 months after the fact) at approximately 6:30pm the contents of my missing package was put on eBay FOR SALE from an individual residing in Atlanta GA (1 hour from my house). I managed to contact that seller in Atlanta GA only to find out that he purchased the bars from THE MAIL RECOVERY CENTER in an auction. So after contacting the USPS, Atlanta Consumer Affairs, Office of Inspector General with ALL information on, 2/24/17 DOCUMENTED in regards to the serial numbers of the bars, the size of the bars, the maker of the bars, the color of the bars........................THEY SELL THEM

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 6:25PM

Shipment insured?
    Ebay purchase by you?
    Paypal or credit card payment?
    Did USPS explain why it was undeliverable?
    Is your seller involved with the claim?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Shipment insured?
    Ebay purchase by you?
    Paypal or credit card payment?
    Did USPS explain why it was undeliverable?
    Is your seller involved with the claim?

Yes, Insure by seller
    Did not purchase thru eBay
    Bars were part of a trade
    No explanation as to why undeliverable (left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing)
    Seller is aware they are on eBay, not sure what he's doing about it.

I've been made whole in this deal, just wanted to share this experience. I was given a "search ID#" in this case when I first made the missing mail report. On 3 different occasions, I reference that # when talking to someone at USPS (waiting on hold for literally 1 hour mind you), only to be told all 3 times "I can't find that search# in my system" Then WHY was I given that ID# immediately after I filed a missing mail report..............she says I don't know.
    I asked my postmaster for the phone number to the Mail Recovery Center........he says we don't have that number and he doesn't know how to get in contact with them....WHAT????

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. What a cluster.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

You were made whole, you'll be sleeping just fine. I know the situation stinks but in this age of fraud, at least you got your initial investment back.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing story. Sure, you have been recompensed.... that is only part of the story. There is a glaring problem here, and no one in the Post Office seems willing to address it. I would press it all the way to the Post Master General... sure, costs time and money... but I would be angry enough to do it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call your Congressman.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Call your Congressman.

I'd 100% opt to write your congressman and send it certified w/ read receipt. For bonus points, have a lawyer write it for you.

On a side note- When you're having an issue with a bill, product or service, ALWAYS **write **in your complaint over calling to the company with either tracking or send certified. Many industries (insurance, financial, telecom, and other regulated industries) have laws about responding to written customer complaints in a timely manner, and NOT for other complaints over the phone or in person.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of all the trouble you had to go thru but glad you're not out any cash.
    Where are these USPS auctions at? I'd like to start attending them. Are they done at a facility where you have to be in person or are they online?

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2017 11:55PM

OT as it relates to coins, but on this topic.

Few years ago while my son was attending college in Orlando, his laptop was stolen in a break in at campus out of his car. Fast foward to like 18 months later, my son gets notification from a guy who turned it on to use it and finds out that it had a tracking device back to my son. He stated that he won it out of a police auction , and glady retuned it to him.

And by the way same here, police came did a report when it was stolen and serial number and info was recorded at the time of theft

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    OT as it relates to coins, but on this topic.

Few years ago while my son was attending college in Orlando, his laptop was stolen in a break in at campus out of his car. Fast foward to like 18 months later, my son gets notification from a guy who turned it on to use it and finds out that it had a tracking device back to my son. He stated that he won it out of a police auction , and glady retuned it to him.

And by the way same here, police came did a report when it was stolen and serial number and info was recorded at the time of theft

Different districts? I would imagine that they aren't all linked together.....though it would be nice....particularly if different cities/states.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment