Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Completed my 1807 CBH die marriage set with this Bearded Goddess

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2017 12:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have always wanted a Bearded Goddess and when the opportunity to get this one came along, I couldn't say no. I know some of you may be saying that at first glance, the reverse planchet streak takes away from the coin, but with the coin in hand, it really doesn't...at least to me.

This Bearded Goddess also happens to be the late "b" die state with the die crack that goes through the eye into the I in LIBERTY and, although it doesn't show well in this pic, there is also the die crack that goes through the left base of E and appears just slightly above into the cap.

According to the dealer who sold it to me, this particular coin was purchased by a gentleman back in 1946 for a whopping $10. He had kept it in a 2x2 kraft envelope until he bought it from his grandson late in 2016. When this coin finally arrived, I was happy to also receive the 2x2 envelope it was stored in for 70 years, which also had the price on it (on the back in the upper left hand corner).
Oh, what I would do for a time machine.

Dave #226

Comments

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could live with that flaw. Looks high grade as well. Very nice!

Tom

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10 was probably a pretty strong price for that coin in 1946. Capped Bust halves were not popular with many collectors at that time. While I am not crazy about the black marks on the reverse, the overall originality of the piece, the very interesting and easy to see variety variety and the early date makes it a keeper. I like it!

Just how rare is that variety ... I am no expert on Capped Bust halves.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

A VERY cool piece and I too could live with that flaw. It's a super cool variety and rare to boot.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2017 2:38PM

The O.111 die marriage overall is listed as being an R4+ (81-120 estimated known).

The O.111 prime (without any die cracks whatsoever) is probably an R7.
    The O.111a with just a trace of the beard between the chin and chest and without the die crack extending upward to the I in LIBERTY is possibly tougher than an R4+, maybe R5- (64-80 known). It also has a fine die crack joining all the stars on the left.
    And the O.111b, or latest die state, as this coin is, is probably just as tough in my opinion, so most likely R5- as well. The die crack joining the stars on the left is also more pronounced on the "b" die state.

Dave #226

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse streak takes away only a little for me. The originality makes up for it in the long run. I'd be happy to own that piece. Nice purchase

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

The money side of that coin is off the charts.
    And the other side ain't too bad either.
    Congrats on a really nice pick-up

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

Everything seems to be a trade-off. Do you take the problem free piece in lower grade or live with streak? To me that is a very nice coin in high grade and a late state to boot. Congrats on a great pick up and welcome to the club!

BHNC # 144

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

That's a great looking piece! I've owned a couple of these bearded ladies, but those are long sold to pursue other areas of numismatics.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Dr. Dave is back in a big way!

He reappears here after a few years' absence, then he's accepted into the Bust Half Nut Club by virtue of the size and excellence of his set and his exceptional knowledge. Next thing you know he's snapping-up uber-cool varieties and die marriages.

WTG Dave. I'm very happy for you.

I coveted the bearded goddess too but settled for a modest F15. Someday I'll reach higher but I'm not sure I'll compete at this level. That's a remarkable example! Congratulations.
    Lance.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look of that coin....beautiful coin!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really cool And it's neat to see a coin that has been put away unmolested for 70+ years.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    A VERY cool piece and I too could live with that flaw. It's a super cool variety and rare to boot.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2017 7:28PM

Thank you for the kind words everyone, and especially to you Lance for what you said. I really appreciate it.

Lance, your presence on these boards is an enormous asset to everyone. Your knowledge and willingness to help in any way you can never goes unnoticed. I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say, your CBH set is awe inspiring!

Although I have been fortunate to pick up a few special CBH's here and there over the years, I have learned, among other things, that it is better to be patient and wait for the right coin to come along than be impulsive and just try to fill holes in a set.

Thank you again everyone!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice acquisition... and it looks like that streak is 'enhanced' by dirt in the deep parts... that could easily be removed - although, then the streak may become more noticeable as damage. On such a coin, I would leave it as is.... and for a 210 year old coin, 'as is' is very nice.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

An overall pleasing acquisition especially for the variety!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2017 5:56AM

Wow ... wow ... wow! What a beautiful example! That's one of the die states I still need and hope to add to the set someday. Congratulations!

Oh ... and the envelope is pretty cool too!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited June 1, 2017 9:10AM

@ricko said:
    Very, very nice acquisition... and it looks like that streak is 'enhanced' by dirt in the deep parts... that could easily be removed - although, then the streak may become more noticeable as damage. On such a coin, I would leave it as is.... and for a 210 year old coin, 'as is' is very nice.... Cheers, RickO

Trust me, I have no intention of removing this coin from its PCGS holder.

Dave #226

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful original specimen Dave. An exemplary example of the famed "Bearded Goddess". The obverse quality compete with some of the finest examples that are now selling in the $30 to 40K range. I really enjoy seeing the original envelope from the old time collector. You've been a great addition to the club!

On another note, not seeing the coin in hand, I can't give an opinion as to whether the reverse streak can be partially removed. I suspect some of the darker stuck on appearing material can be removed, but of course at risk for what the surface is like underneath. I've had PCGS conserve a few coins over the years with good success. The result would leave the modestly darker tan toning, but removed any built up material on the coins surface. It appears to my eye to be organic consistent with the material lodged in the wing and the upper shield. I would never dip such an lovely toned coin. It is possible, if the material is organic that even an acetone bath might work. I'm not an expert in this area, but its possible the reverse surfaces would be protected from further uneven toning around the material. I have never personally tried to conserve anything and I leave it to experts. There is the possibility that the coin might straight grade at PCGS as is, without any conservation.

I agree with your advice Dave to be patient and wait for a nice example, especially on redbook varieties. I've had a number of regrets over the years from jumping to fill a hole and then six months later finding a nice example of rare varieties. Everyone should heed that recommendation.

You really are building a fantastic set.

Best,
    Chuck #166

• Options
    edited June 1, 2017 10:08AM

Thank you Chuck. I appreciate your kind words.

As for my Bearded Goddess, it already happens to reside in a straight graded PCGS holder.

But regarding what you mentioned, do you think I should send it to PCGS and have them give me their opinion on what, if anything, can be done to the grease streak? My only hesitation is, as you said, that it disturbs the surface underneath. I wonder if they could simply give it an acetone bath and that's it.

What attracted me to this coin was its originality, undisturbed surfaces for 70+ years, excellent luster, and colorful toning on the reverse, and obverse (not seen at all in the pics).

Dave #226

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it. Care to tell us the current grade? I'm thinking AU-50/53

Trade $'s
  • Options

Hi Dave,

That's great news. Yes, just send it to PCGS with a note about your question as to whether an acetone bath might remove some organic material, but no further intervention desired. Since its already in a holder, of course there is always leaving well enough alone as an option. Is the coin listed in your on line set on the Registry?

Best,C

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPRC said:
    I could live with that flaw. Looks high grade as well. Very nice!

so could i

• Options
    edited June 1, 2017 11:29AM

@TennesseeDave said:
    I love it. Care to tell us the current grade? I'm thinking AU-50/53

Thanks Dave, I think I will entertain some more guesses before I reveal the grade.

• Options

I guess AU55, looks like luster is nice instars and lettering. :)

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

It looks really nice!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess AU53.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2017 8:40AM

For those who are interested, my Bearded Goddess is graded PCGS AU53.

Congrats to those who got it right, however, I have to agree with GoBust, as it truly is a 55 in my opinion.

It was obviously downgraded to a 53 because of the grease streak on the reverse. This coin has all the luster and every other attribute necessary for a 55 in my opinion.

Whatever the grade, 53 or 55, it doesn't matter. This CBH is a lovely example of a truly original and unmessed with, AND very tough REDBOOK variety.

....And I feel very fortunate to have been able to acquire it.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:
    For those who are interested, my Bearded Goddess is graded PCGS AU53.

Congrats to those who got it right, however, I have to agree with GoBust, as it truly is a 55 in my opinion.

It was obviously downgraded to a 53 because of the grease streak on the reverse. This coin has all the luster and every other attribute necessary for a 55 in my opinion.

Whatever the grade, 53 or 55, it doesn't matter. This CBH is a lovely example of a truly original and unmessed with, AND very tough REDBOOK variety.

....And I feel very fortunate to have been able to acquire it.

Beautiful coin. She has character and I would leave her alone,

Congratulations!

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick up Dave!

When I collected bust halves that was always one of my dream coins. Yours is a fantastic example.

If you find yourself disagreeing with the PCGS grade, you can always crack it and return it to its envelope!

• Options

Thanks Nap!

It's worth much more in its PCGS holder than that 2x2 envelope, although it sure is neat to have it!

If you're going to the next NYC meeting though, I'll bring it in so you can check it out. Hope to catch up soon.

Dave #226

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

The streak does not bother me in the least.

Wonderful coin.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a rare find in wonderful condition!

Great history behind it, too.

I am not bothered by that dark streak, whatsoever.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:
    I have always wanted a Bearded Goddess and when the opportunity to get this one came along, I couldn't say no. I know some of you may be saying that at first glance, the reverse planchet streak takes away from the coin, but with the coin in hand, it really doesn't...at least to me.

This Bearded Goddess also happens to be the late "b" die state with the die crack that goes through the eye into the I in LIBERTY and, although it doesn't show well in this pic, there is also the die crack that goes through the left base of E and appears just slightly above into the cap.

According to the dealer who sold it to me, this particular coin was purchased by a gentleman back in 1946 for a whopping $10. He had kept it in a 2x2 kraft envelope until he bought it from his grandson late in 2016. When this coin finally arrived, I was happy to also receive the 2x2 envelope it was stored in for 70 years, which also had the price on it (on the back in the upper left hand corner).
    Oh, what I would do for a time machine.

Dave #226

Hi, Dave

Frank

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't aware of this variety.
    It's very cool and now I want one. B):o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list