Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Flawless Roosy?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guy's, I was at Starbucks this morning and glanced into the Tip Jar. Low and behold this Dime just jumped out at me! Had to have it. So I took it out and replaced it with a $1 Bill. For .90 Cents not too bad, Huh? It's the 2017d. Try and find any old kind of hit on the obverse as well as the reverse. Betcha can't!

It even has a slight Cameo effect.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice; I haven't run across any 17-D dimes yet.
    NGC would PL it if mirrors are deep enough.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely send to PCGS! I don't know if they will award the PL grade but I do know MS69's and MS70's could go for thousands to serious collectors of the finest coins (in grade and appearance). Registry Roosevelts are popular and the manhunt for these rarities never cease. Please keep us informed as to your positive grading results.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guy's, I was at Starbucks this morning and glanced into the Tip Jar. Low and behold this Dime just jumped out at me! Had to have it. So I took it out and replaced it with a $1 Bill. For .90 Cents not too bad, Huh? It's the 2017d. Try and find any old kind of hit on the obverse as well as the reverse. Betcha can't!

How would it consider flawless in there are dents on the cheek and lower jaw?

Out of 10+ bank boxes of brand new uncirculated dimes I cracked open this years from my liquor store, I have never seem a true ms 68-70. Most of the dimes this year have partially worn out die and some were close to matt finish. But there had been a few dimes same condition if not better than the picture shown per roll.

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Definitely send to PCGS! I don't know if they will award the PL grade but I do know MS69's and MS70's could go for thousands to serious collectors of the finest coins (in grade and appearance). Registry Roosevelts are popular and the manhunt for these rarities never cease. Please keep us informed as to your positive grading results.

PCGS will not assign PL or DMPL to Roosevelt Dimes.
    NGC will.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

In hand, I'd only need 10 seconds to find multiple hits/grazes/scuffs on such a coin plucked from circulation. Have yet to find a flawless US Coin residing in a MS69/70 TPG slab. I certainly don't expect to find one in change.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 2:47PM

The first place I look when grading a coin is the rims.
    Look at the rims.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not too observant and even I can see the cut on the jaw.

(As for the rims - they look kind of rough).

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the rims ;)

Nice coin but I don't think it is flawless. Send it in and prove the naysayers wrong.

• Options

Will PCGS give a coin a grade jump if the PL surfaces are flawless in nature?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rims are pretty bad.......would be lucky to 65.

• Options

OK, thanks guys for all the op.'s :):):)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Rims are pretty bad.......would be lucky to 65.

Do you see any dramatic differences between the 2017 and 2016-earlier dimes?

I don't really look at clad dimes in circulation.

• Options

Are there any dime experts than can join in this discussion?

• Options

I think they just did? ;)

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Are there any dime experts than can join in this discussion?

Yes

IMHO, it is a blazing dime for a coin jar find.
    I would toss it aside if I was breaking a 2500 green dime box full of these, as I have seen better. Not worth sending in unless you think its an 8FB.

I have a 2015-D MS68FB and it is miraculously flawless in every way and I will be sending in for a reconsideration and T.V.
    I haven't seen the 2016's or 2017's to give an opinion.

Roosies in 8FB are dirt cheap. I paid $69 for mine.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Isn't $69.00 for a dime minted two years ago kind of considered expensive?

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Will PCGS give a coin a grade jump if the PL surfaces are flawless in nature?

Here again the consistency of inconsistency.
    Sometimes they apparently do, sometimes they don't.
    They like the PL surfaces on cents and nickels, but I haven't seen them giving a bump to the dimes.

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Isn't $69.00 for a dime minted two years ago kind of considered expensive?

I don't think so. Considering that some modern condition census rarities command insane prices into the thousands, I think $69 is a deal.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

I would toss it aside if I was breaking a 2500 green dime box full of these, as I have seen better. Not worth sending in unless you think its an 8FB.

If PCGS grades a dime you picked out of change from Starbucks as MS65 much less MS68, it is time to give up on third party grading altogether.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a coin just jumps out of the pack.... especially at this time when stores are cracking new coin rolls. I picked a 2017P cent out of the 'take a cent, leave a cent' box... it is very impressive. It was so nice it could have come from a mint set... it did not, I am sure, but it is that nice. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Stooge said:

If PCGS grades a dime you picked out of change from Starbucks as MS65 much less MS68, it is time to give up on third party grading altogether.

I have no idea why you would say this. There are many coins that could be pulled out of circulation today that would easily grade 65. 68 is going to be harder although I'm sure it is possible.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Stooge said:

I have no idea why you would say this. There are many coins that could be pulled out of circulation today that would easily grade 65. 68 is going to be harder although I'm sure it is possible.

It was in a tip jar, meaning that is has circulated. It isn't like it was freshly cracked out of an original bank roll in a cashier's drawer. Pocket change should never be graded as uncirculated.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Nice strike!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure I'm not going to change your mind since your position is more principle than practical. I'm assuming you don't actually believe that handling a coin even once imparts noticeable wear.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@david3142 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Stooge said:

It was in a tip jar, meaning that is has circulated. It isn't like it was freshly cracked out of an original bank roll in a cashier's drawer. Pocket change should never be graded as uncirculated.

You mean to tell me all those uncirculated coins from the 1800's never circulated ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must respectfully disagree. I was hung up on this concept many years ago, but over time I understood that "uncirculated" is a statement of condition or grade, not a status. Furthermore, if it was in a tip jar at a donut place then almost certainly it was freshly cracked out of a roll - by the cashier who gave it to the customer who then tossed it into the jar.

I do agree, though that this is an unlikely place to look for MS70 coins.

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2017 5:06PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@david3142 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Stooge said:

Actually, thats likely exactly what happened. It's common for cashiers to open a new roll of coins in the mornings. It was likely out of a fresh roll and then put in the tip jar after one transaction.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options

@basetsb said:
    Actually, that's likely exactly what happened. It's common for cashiers to open a new roll of coins in the mornings. It was likely out of a fresh roll and then put in the tip jar after one transaction.

The cashier broke this roll against the counter like some I've seen, dumped the roll into her drawer, reached in the section where the dimes are kept with her oily fingers after hundreds of transactions, handed it to someone else and they handled it with their oily fingers and dumped in the take one-leave one jar where the O.P. grabs it and says..."Look what I found"

Sorry but I'm not seeing an 8FB anytime soon.

Back in the day, I broke several 2,500 count green dime bank boxes and came across 1 single MS68FB dime. Believe me I tried and its damn near impossible.

Good luck with your dime, believe me I would love to see it go 8FB, but it's not gonna happen.

Later, Paul.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file