Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just had a F2F with a S.S. agent

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2017 9:52AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Someone got hosed big time on a couple fake gold coins in fake holders. Hopefully justice will prevail. I didn't even have to loupe the coins to know they were bogus. Arm's length. Received a neat S.S. medallion for my opinion. Been acquainted with the agent in charge of the Rochester field office for a couple years.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    ... Received a neat S.S. medallion for my opinion.

Pics!

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Have PCGS slab it!

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was working for Harlan I once had a Postal Inspector come in with some fake coins from a mail fraud case. He said they needed a fast answer, and if they sent them to the Mint it would take months.

I offered to testify if they needed it, but I never heard back them them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

This is definitely a case investigation, with the intent to prosecute if intent can be documented. I was not permitted to handle the fake slabs without wearing cotton gloves, since they are evidence now.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2017 11:05AM

@coindeuce said:
    . Received a neat S.S. medallion for my opinion.

Need pics, what does a S.S. medallion look like? edit
    I see the buffalo

Been acquainted with the agent in charge of the Rochester field office for a couple years.

Quit: No; Don'tsaythat: Stop: End: GoBack: If, else, end, Nooooooooooo

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back about 1970 I ordered some U.S. gold coins from a dealer that had an ad in the CDN. I ordered 5 $2 1/2 Liberty, 5 $2 1/2 Indians, 5 $5 Liberty and 5 $ Indians. I took them to a local dealer and he said that some were counterfeit. I turned them over to the Secret Service. The dealer was mad that I just did not send them back ( I guess so that he could sell them to someone else ) for a refund. After about 4-6 months the results came back from the Mint. They were all bad except the 5 $5 Liberty. The Secret Service had paid the dealer a visit. He never advertised gold coins again.

• Options

These were not sold by a dealer. Can't divulge any more details without interfering in the case.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

medal looks fake.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:

@coindeuce said:

These were not sold by a dealer. Can't divulge any more details without interfering in the case.

USSS and FBI are two different alphabet agencies. Every good 'Murican knows that.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:

USSS and FBI are two different alphabet agencies. Every good 'Murican knows that.

Yep, lol, Frank is on to ya

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

That medal is cool. B)

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice challenge coin.... I have an extensive collection of those... although not one from the S.S.. Though most of mine are military, I also have ones from a VP, Sec. Def., and a couple others. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file