Home Precious Metals
Options

Anybody know of counterfeit 1 oz. silver rounds made with RWM hallmark (1980 Edward C. Harwood) ?

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 8, 2017 9:48AM in Precious Metals

Reeded edge with stars around rim and legend "Sound Commercial Banking" This one scales at 1.12 ozt. Not magnetic.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Harwood gold ounces from Gold Standard Corporation were less than .999 fine, so they weighed more than an ounce to net out at a troy ounce. I never did anything with the silver so I do not know is these are .900 fine or .925 or what.

http://chiefacoins.com/Database/Micro-Nations/Gold_Standard_Corporation.htm

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

The piece in question has the declaration on it "Contains one ounce pure silver", but does not declare fineness.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options

@coindeuce said:
    The piece in question has the declaration on it "Contains one ounce pure silver", but does not declare fineness.

Right. A two ounce piece of 50% silver would "contain one ounce pure silver" even though the silver itself is not pure.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:

looks like it works out to a .900 fineness. Still, an ounce of PURE silver is an ounce of silver.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited June 9, 2017 8:12PM

Customer who bought this from me claims he had another shop test it with a Metalytics Analyzer and they told him it wasn't silver. The customer is a regular, so I've offered to have it scanned with XRF.

• Options

What WAS it if not silver?

• Options
    edited June 9, 2017 8:12PM

Don't know. I think the person at the other shop who tested this does not know how to use the Sigma Metalytics tester.

• Options

might not be silver.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aha... a weird customer, a questionable product and a difference of opinion... The makings of a fine movie (according to today's standards). Let us know how 'the rest of the story' turns out. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 31, 2017 7:06AM

@coindeuce said:
    Don't know. The customer always acts very weird when purchasing bullion from me. I think the person at the other shop who tested this does not know how to use the Sigma Metalytics tester.

The Sigma PMV does not tell you what type metal or fineness you have. It only verifies that the metal and its fineness are what you have selected with the instrument. If verifies, it does not identify. And yes you have to know how to use it as well as know when to use one of the three attachable probes. I find that for 1 oz. or larger raw silver it is best to use the medium or large probe. Also there are a number of silver fineness selections. If you do not know the fineness of what you are testing then you should test the item at different fineness selections to help you identify fineness. If it doesn't "pass" at any of the selections then you have determined it is not silver.

What you have (since it is actually overweight) is most likely 92.5 fine sterling silver. The PMV will verify 92.5% silver. Since these were produced in the early 1980's it is very unlikely that they were counterfeited.

• Options

Specific gravity is also a fine, non-destructive test.

• Options

I have one of these rounds and it's either 0.90 or 0.925 silver. Next time I dig it out of my safe I will test it with my Sigma and can post a pic if you like. It's definitely not 0.999

• Options
    VintagebullionVintagebullion Posts: 1
    edited June 8, 2017 3:59PM

Curious of the out come of the XRF.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2017 11:12AM

But that was not made in this day and age. It was made 37 years ago, when the Franklin Mint was selling tons of sterling silver, and the market was very accepting of that.

Edited to add: This comment was made in response to a comment about market acceptability in different decades that has since been deleted.

• Options

This round tested as .900 fine silver with an XRF scan. The customer still hasn't returned to retrieve it.

• Options

Thank you. As I said.

• Options

Things change. When we brokered that 3,800+ ounce gold bar collection a few years ago there were European poured bars from the 1950's that were marked .995 or even .990 that were slightly overweight to account for this, and they were perfectly acceptable in their time.