Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Facebook and coins - a site to avoid!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a coin off Facebook from a guy named Bob Piercy. Forum is Deal or No Deal-Coins.

Paid for it on 5-20-17 to the PP address he gave me - thought it low risk for $20.

Yesterday someone posts, "Is it still available". Piercy says yes, I'll need your PP address.

I post to the forum that it was already bought and paid for to include a picture of my PP confirmation - when I get home from golf, all my comments have been erased - by a moderator, I assume.

Looks like I was banned - can no longer post.

And I thought eBay was a risky place to do business! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Ugh.!.!
    I think i might be a member of the same group :(
    Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would never occur to me to do so.

Additionally, those coin collectors who are interested in their privacy may wish to avoid that group. Anyone can search the list of members to find the coin collectors near you!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use facebook for close family friends and family only. Private no public comments. Love to see pics of far away relatives and what they are doing. Enjoy the interaction. I like facebook for this and only this reason.
    I'd never do anything coins there.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible. I have bought and sold from the same group. Luckily I have never ran into such problem.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 12:49PM

I haven't logged on to my FB account in nearly two years, I think.

My average is probably lower than once per year. This site and CoinTalk are where I go to mix social media and coins.

Sorry you got jacked. Glad it was only petty theft.

Maybe they should change the name:

Deal or No Deal Coins

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because I have no FB account I probably should not comment here....but if I did I would agree with @lordmarcovan :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

I love the idea of coins on social media - but I hate most Facebook coin groups. A lot more ego than there is coins.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum is a form of social media.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the "heads-up" !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the shares not the environment.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe they have many because it is a 30cent Chinese fake?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

We get all sorts of people on the mushroom forums. People will send PayPal for pounds of morels then woops never get them.. same with oysters and reiishi, enoki, you name it. We even get people trying to sell the funny ones which not only puts all of us at risk, but they end up ripping suckers off every way down the line.

These days I just take my stuff to farmers markets and sell photos of the funny ones. It's a weird world, and one I'm really glad I'm not part of anymore. Some of these people you can't ban fast enough but they've already got a dozen puppets working people's wallets.

Good morels go 100/lb, sometimes more on size, so we aren't talking a few bucks here or there. Most of my groups have just straight up shut down buying and selling of anything. Last year, one user stole an acquaintance's pictures and sold them himself.

Forget that mess.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

More importantly, @Lakesammman , I am disappointed to learn that we are not FB friends! :disappointed:;)

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    I frickin' hate facebook.

Nothing but fake people, drama, liars and frauds.

I rarely even visit that site anymore.

I live my real life with my actual friends who text me and call me.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience but, honestly, I'm not surprised.

At least, it was low-cost and you had PayPal protection.

I agree....FB stinks! :#

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

It gets better - after apologizing for being confused over the complexity of selling coins on line, and asking for my shipping address 1 more time this AM, it's listed on eBay 12 hours later!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Don't know anything about Facebook and don't want to.

I have never had a Facebook and don't ever plan to.
    I don't understand the appeal.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do have a Facebook presence... For me, it is a good way to keep in touch after living in several different countries and many states. I had no idea there were coin sites on FB... or other buy/sell sites.... I guess my timeline is quite narrow. For coins, I will stick to here and Cointalk... but enjoy talking to my friends from England, Portugal, Puerto Rico etc... and good friends on the West coast and Southwest... not to mention family scattered all over. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to hide a POS. One good thing is the expose'

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 8:53AM

Hey @Lakesammman, I saw a coin I thought you might like on eBay. Plus it's only $20.

:)

Mark

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 9:01AM

No facebook for me.

I've always said anyone over the age of 40 who uses Facebook on a very regular basis either needs some kind of therapy or is a very lonely individual.

Younger than that I can understand as it is part of their upbringing and lifestyle.

Same goes for those darn cell phones as I ditched mine last year (I'm 58 years old).

Who wants to have a 24 hour obligation to phone, check the internet and check all your phony 'likes' and 'followers'.

I'm totally old school, I joke to my friends if I need to get in touch with my wife, I'll go find a pay phone (and hopefully one with a rotary dial).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on Craig's List; $20 for old coin, no questions asked, meet me, 'Fast Eddy' in Phil's parking lot.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet you could get some cute cat videos with no problems. :p

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

I also am on that group.. Would not trust anyone on there

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HappyLittleTrees said:
    Facebook is cancer, along with all other social media.

Well not so fast there....

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I belong to a couple of Facebook coin groups, but never buy or sell there. There are some good groups out there, but I like the ones just for showing off. I do like FB for keeping up with friends and family. There's more to it than phony likes and fake news.

Most of the responses here are nothing but echo chamber noise, no better than the "get off my lawn" retort. Don't find that too surprising. Sounds just like when rock and roll showed up, the transistor radio, dial-up internet, and so on. At least come up with fresh material, jeez.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file