Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Auctions: Heritage's competition catching up?

jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 28, 2017 9:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Seems to me that StacksBowers and Goldberg have really stepped up their game in terms of web site functionality...and personally I'm seeing a lot more coins I want on SB and Goldberg these days than Heritage...very pleased with the results I've experienced in selling on GreatCollections too...

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had any luck with SB though I am registered and have been receiving multiple promo emails. Maybe they have caught up with the internet.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've won more coins on SB than Heritage lately. Whether that's a sign that they are "catching up" or that their auctions are being ignored, I don't know.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacks is definitely stepping up their online game. Curious myself how this will affect bidding in the coming months

http://www.coinweek.com/dealers-companies/talked-stacks-bowers-listened-bidding-online-even-easier-thanks-improved-website/

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

They've gotten better - merely 100 years behind Heritage instead of the light years it used to be. Bidding almost on par, browsing & search just fair and archives still pretty abysmal. Don't think they have anywhere near the customer base but 100 pairs of eyes looking at the one & only available coin from your consignment may bring a better result than having yours go up with 4 others same grade at Heritage with 1000 people looking.

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 11:27AM

It may be worth checking out their site again. In the past, I was always frustrated by it, even though I thought they had excellent photos. Some of my observations:

Heritage

• Good search and excellent history
    • Fast and confident bidding
    • Best photo selection with front/back slab photos, front/back coin photos, videos, etc.
    • Photos are a bit washed out compared to Stacks, Legend, TrueView

Stacks

• Great photos. Among the best with Legend Auctions
    • Slow and uncertain for bidding. I didn't know if I won or not in an auction but it seems to be better.
    • Incomplete and very difficult to use history
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I think Legend has the best auction (nice catalog, not too big), but I don't see much there that I need (no Buffalos or Morgans wanted). I'm happy to hear that SB is doing better. I still go to Heritage first, no problem with on line bidding, and can maybe find a nice piece of art while browsing.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy GC a little more each day. Love the site, service, and fair fees. Heritage seems to squeeze a person for every penny they can get

• Options
    caddyshackcaddyshack Posts: 115 ✭✭

SB does seemed to have improved their web site. However, they still lack a serious following as proven by the Pogue sale. Even after teaming with Sothebys not a single new player emerged. They still seem like they are caught in a time warp of back in the day.

I like Legend far better then GC, at least Legend does descriptions and they know coins.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

What do GB and Stacks charge in fees typically?

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

They've gotten better - merely 100 years behind Heritage instead of the light years it used to be.

I agree - they're marginally better but still not even close to Heritage.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I think Great Collections is knocking it out of the park.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC rarely has anything that interests me.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:
    GC rarely has anything that interests me.

I just took a peek at GC and agree, so I'll stick with Heritage for now.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, they're better, but.......

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

• Options

@AmazonX said:
    I think Great Collections is knocking it out of the park.

On the weekly auctions they certainly are.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Never had any luck with SB though I am registered and have been receiving multiple promo emails. Maybe they have caught up with the internet.

It took long enough.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Their new bidding platform really does work well.

• Options
    ScootersdadScootersdad Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

The more the competition the better!

• Options

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:

@Coinstartled said:

Their new bidding platform really does work well.

Thanks John. I'll give them a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file