Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happened to this slab?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any ideas what happened to this slab? Was it heated enough to melt the gasket?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely deformed enough to hazard the heat guess...maybe just left in the car on a hot day, or in direct sunlight on a hot day.

Since the coin doesn't appear altered, I don't think a direct heat source (ie....oven or anything like that) was used.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done this when I've forgotten about a coin under the halogen lights for an hour or two. Fortunately it doesn't seem to hurt the coin. Goofy-looking though.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Washington is 1 hot President!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep...looks like heat deformation... while the coin appears fine, I would be curious about any potential out gassing from the gasket.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 11:19AM

@BryceM said:
    I've done this when I've forgotten about a coin under the halogen lights for an hour or two. Fortunately it doesn't seem to hurt the coin. Goofy-looking though.

Good to know. Definitely something to stay on top of.

Looks like a candidate for a reholder.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone experimenting with toning in holder methods.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably left out in the sun. The inner plastic was apparently less resistant to the heat than the outer hard plastic shell.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a couple of the older "solid" gaskets do something like this...kinda looks like a chewed up "gummy".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file