Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this on my Mercury dime?

TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Have decided to start a small collection of Mercury dimes. Can someone tell me what this mark is on the back of my dime? Above the E Pluribus Unum.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

From that image I can't really tell, but it might be from a clashed die.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clashed die if you mean that line

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a dried residue -- possibly from the minting process.

Don't try to clean it! You might do more harm than good.

FWIW, I believe it's pretty common on uncirculated silver Ikes:

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the above members, looks like clashed dies

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

Thanks for all of the quick replies. Does this damage take away from the grade? Or is there added value? Or of course, none of the above.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is from a clashed die then it is not typically considered damage on the coin and rarely would affect the grade. In fact, some prominent or interesting clashed die examples sell for a premium, but this in no way is universal.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again following what TomB says above.....
    I agree with him. Not damage. Don't see it affecting the grade.
    Some die clashes are really cool and increase the value, but some/many are just "hmm....kinda cool" and really don't increase the value for 99.9999% of the potential buyers. I would see the above as net neutral to me. I wouldn't pay more and I wouldn't deduct anything.

Another die clash, that some pay more for but I don't, are the "Bugs Bunny" Franklin half dollars. They get designated and so some folks will pay more.

Sometimes, the die clashes are even more prominent than yours...see the whole outline instead of just some.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a die clash. It wasn't totally removed, so part of the opposite side shows up. You can also see the back of Liberty's head in the field on the right below the leaves.

Here's an overlay.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the clashed dies on Mercs can be pretty dramatic, with very strong clashing of the leaves showing in front of Liberty's face.

• Options

Thanks to all, especially to Pete. I like that overlay to show how the dies would line up.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree w/ the others. @Tunis Would that coin happen to be a 1944? I see a lot of clashes in that exact spot on 44-P's.

• Options

It actually is a 1943-P. MS-64FB

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one you can see leaves in front of her face and some axe under her chin, as well as the similar marks of yours on the reverse.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good catch... I agree with the die clash diagnosis... no added value, but interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 7:43AM

MS 67 FB

• Options

Wow!!! That is an amazing example. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an amazing example, grip. A coin with clashing that strong would certainly bring some kind of premium and maybe a substantial one at that.

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    It is a die clash. It wasn't totally removed, so part of the opposite side shows up. You can also see the back of Liberty's head in the field on the right below the leaves.

Here's an overlay.

Pete

Very cool.!.!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip - that is quite a dramatic one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file