Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does PCGS do with all the flips?

TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2017 4:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm just curious. What happens to all the mylar flips from submissions?

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

They sell them in their store.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I'm sure they do something with them. That's a lot of wasted plastic to just through away

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure they get pitched. They throw out tubes from bulk submissions, too. I was discussing this with Mike Faraone last summer and he asked me if I wanted some sent to me. After a few weeks, a box with at least 300 tubes showed up at my door.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 7:44PM

Interesting, why can our host send back to the sender? Go Green.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would make sense to send back the flips for those who request them back, but not financial sense for our host.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    Interesting, why can our host send back to the sender? Go Green.

That would be a lot of work to keep track of, sort, and pack up. TAT would be through the roof!

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not add a new product to their store? Heavily discounted used flips. They would sell out.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    It would make sense to send back the flips for those who request them back, but not financial sense for our host.

Well I can of disagree with this. They send my coins by in large envelopes or blue boxes. Most generally there is room for something like flips. But, I don't want mine back I want to see what you send it and get your flips back!

Nah, just kidding.

It would be a nightmare for PCGS.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not against going green, but I'm using brand-new flips for anything I'm submitting. A bit of grunge and dust in the flip from the last coin and 1000 miles of bumpy roads or turbulent skies makes for potential issues. This is especially true for gold.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to think that they have a recycling program in place and all of it just does not simply go to a landfill.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 9:28PM

When a coin doesn't cross, they send the original slab back with a PCGS Do Not Cross/Holder label in a flip. Ditto for the slab inserts for coins that cross - the old TPG labels were sent back to me in a flip. I wouldn't be surprised if those flips were recycled. I know I would recycle them because there is zero risk to the already slabbed coin.

• Options

Of course, I'm sure there are many recycling centers in California too.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2017 10:35PM

Wrong thread - sorry

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, there are only three recycling plants in the U.S. that will accept mylar.
    They are located in Oakland, San Fransisco and San Jose, Calif.

My guess is PCGS just throws them away in the trash.
    You wouldn't want to reuse them - say somebody used E-Zest when they submitted their coin. It could put a spot on your expensive coin.

There is a lot of waste in business.

My pet peeve is shipping peanuts. Those are a waste filling up our landfills.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 1:18AM

I think they flip them to a flip flipper.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2017 2:49AM

@TopographicOceans said:
    Unfortunately, there are only three recycling plants in the U.S. that will accept mylar.
    They are located in Oakland, San Fransisco and San Jose, Calif.

I'm a bit surprised. Mylar is made from the resin of polyethylene terephthalate (PET). PET is what plastic water and soda bottles are made of.

Edited to add: If this is your source, I would not rely on it. It is specifically referring to balloons that have other materials added including metal. This is not pure mylar.
    It is metallized boPET. https://www.hunker.com/12317594/how-to-recycle-mylar

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

They melt 'em down and use the plastic in their slabs.

;)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the cheap 'soft' flips that can lead to PVC, so I don't really want them back anyway.

PVC isn't going to attack the coins in the few days they're travelling in the mail.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A request for information to our host would resolve this issue..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    A request for information to our host would resolve this issue..... Cheers, RickO

You sure have a lot of faith in Customer Service.

I'd wager such a request would fall on deaf ears. Put the question to them in an email and I will give you 10:1 odds you never receive a reply.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend asking the question to Don .... I am sure he would answer. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 7:23AM

I have spoken several times to employees of several TPGS. The information provided by John is correct. You could run a large commercial coin company on their waste. Everything...rubber bands, flips, tubes. paperclips, pens, shipping boxes, etc. At least one of the smaller TPGS sells stuff in lots on Ebay. You need to realize all this takes time, storage space, and materials. It is not cost effective to save five to fifteen grand a year. I know one TPGS (no longer in business) had a volunteer working there who collected useful stuff from the trash to keep or sell at the coin club. Although he got teased as a "pack-rat," the freebies financed some pretty nice coins.

Here is another thing to consider. I've been told that (in the past) security people claimed to be able to make up complete slabs (without the coin) from discarded labels and parts that they found discarded in the trash. I know that now, at least one TPGS shreds everything including the plastic parts. I also know that Service A throws any parts from Service Q, R, X, Y, and Z straight into the trash as they don't care what happens to it...LOL. IMHO, it does not matter anymore as the Chinese are doing deceptive slabs w/o digging in the dumpsters.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 4:14PM

On the flipside of this, I can imagine the PCGS graders looking at each other and going: "I wonder what people are doing with all these blue PCGS boxes we send them?"

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2017 12:08AM

@kiyote said:
    On the flipside of this, I can imagine the PCGS graders looking at each other and going: "I wonder what people are doing with all these blue PCGS boxes we send them?"

I recycle them to send certified coins for crossover submissions. It is much like the "take a penny, leave a penny" concept.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file