Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My San Antonio/Schertz coin show pick up - Trade Dollar type

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paid a quick visit tour local coin show today, nothing wrong with starting a Saturday morning off with a show! The traffic appeared to be fairly steady, and I did see a few younger faces in the crowd. Along with some decent raw coin pickups, I managed to find this 1877-S Trade Dollar lurking in the corner of Larry Carundi's case, in an OGH graded AU-53. I recently started working on the 133 piece type set for the registry, and the trade dollar put me this '' close to the halfway point. This piece has nice swirling, blue-tinged luster around the edges and it doesn't look messed with.

For those that are interested, here's a link to my type set:

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/type-sets/complete-type-sets/complete-u-s-type-set-circulation-strikes-1792-1964/publishedset/156061

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great type coin in a great collector grade

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those were some good shows (2009 my last visit to one there). Sweet pickup!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niceeeeeee!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Great find.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 8:25PM

Nice looking Trade Dollar! Great type set example! Challenging Type Set.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell of a 53!
    Where the heck do you people find these coins?

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry had a couple boxes of slabs he'd recently acquired that had some amazing stuff in them.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good lookin' Trade Dollar. Congrats!

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, awesome coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Trade Dollar.... More like a 55 it seems.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice AU-53

Trade $'s
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Anything close to mid-au price for such a problem free large coin is a bargain.

A great collector coin

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking trade dollar, glad you were able to find a nice example.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 4:48PM

Larry Cundari is one of my favorite dealers to visit at coin shows.

He's got a great discerning eye for Originality & Quality, and always offers his coins for reasonable market prices -- especially for the quality.

Here's an 1877-S Trade Dollar that I purchased from Larry a number of years ago that I'm pleased to still have in my collection.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file