Home U.S. Coin Forum

hard to find modern day coins

newbie here again. still waiting to hear from any one about hard to find US coins from 1980-2017. not as in expensive, but difficult or challenging to obtain. i like a good challenge. thank you for your response.

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most are listed on eBay by now.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

many millions of coins made in those years. So, unless you are looking for errors or varities you won't find hard to find coins.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Cherrios Dollar
    Sac Goodacre Type 1

Probably some rarer DDOs or DDRs

• unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 5:13AM

Wide and Close AM Lincolns found it pocket change.

My best pick was a 1999 Wide AM and flipped for $90 raw on Ebay.

I've made some goood money searching Mint and Proof sets for various varieties.

Best Pick was a 1998 Wide AM Lincoln... flipped set for $200 raw

Cheap fun and a heck of a cherry picking treasure hunt is to pick up both editions of the Cherry Pickers guide.

Bury yourself in Ebay and have at it.

Picked five rare VAM's last year... two mint state unattributed in PCGS holders and flipped for over $3000. Still have one. None of them cost more than $200 with grading fees and attribution cost. In fact the fees cost more than the coins.

After a certain trial period of inevitable mistakes you will learn enough to be dangerous.

Alot of great designs can be had for those on a tight budget.

1938d Buffalo Nickels are the bane of the series, but wonderful examples can be had for $40 in MS66 and MS65. Got TPG MS64, MS65, and MS66 this week off ebay. Learning the series and chasing and making a five figure MS68 example is my pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow.

There are Hard Times Token, political tokens, and Olympic, regional and World Exposition avenues you can take.

Good Luck

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silencer.... Welcome aboard....It seems you are chasing coins the old fashioned way.... pocket change or bank rolls... Get the CPG and have fun.... Cheers, RickO

• CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@unclebob said:
    Wide and Close AM Lincolns found it pocket change.

My best pick was a 1999 Wide AM and flipped for $90 raw on Ebay.

I've made some goood money searching Mint and Proof sets for various varieties.

Best Pick was a 1998 Wide AM Lincoln... flipped set for $200 raw

Cheap fun and a heck of a cherry picking treasure hunt is to pick up both editions of the Cherry Pickers guide.

Bury yourself in Ebay and have at it.

Picked five rare VAM's last year... two mint state unattributed in PCGS holders and flipped for over $3000. Still have one. None of them cost more than $200 with grading fees and attribution cost. In fact the fees cost more than the coins.

After a certain trial period of inevitable mistakes you will learn enough to be dangerous.

Alot of great designs can be had for those on a tight budget.

1938d Buffalo Nickels are the bane of the series, but wonderful examples can be had for $40 in MS66 and MS65. Got TPG MS64, MS65, and MS66 this week off ebay. Learning the series and chasing and making a five figure MS68 example is my pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow.

There are Hard Times Token, political tokens, and Olympic, regional and World Exposition avenues you can take.

Good Luck

@silencer
    I agree with the above. Also check out JBCoins as he has "hit lists" for modern coins (errors and varieties).
    Good luck.!.!

• unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

@silencer said:
    newbie here again. still waiting to hear from any one about hard to find US coins from 1980-2017. not as in expensive, but difficult or challenging to obtain. i like a good challenge. thank you for your response.

The old axiom buy the book before the coin is wise advise.

I would advise taking the ANA counterfeit and grading courses. Early on the hardest thing was detecting cleaned coins and avoiding other problem coins. Anything to help level the steep learning curve is cheaper in the long run.

With moderns there will be fewer problem coins because of the general lack of interest and many of them coming from the mint.

For big time DDO and DDR go with certified ANACS, NGC, PCGS TPG's

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun looking most can be picked up at a coin shop, one or two may be a cherry just look real close. Have fun looking and welcome aboard. :)

Hoard the keys.
  • IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

In general, few investors speculate on common Uncirculated Modern Area US coins. This creates an interesting niche for collectors. There are some real challenges to discover high-grade specimens at face or market (Proof and Mint Sets) value but the personal rewards are gratifying. The one caveat is that since these coins are “off the radar” and very few specimens have been slabbed so the true populations could be in the thousands. However, if you are just a collector, it is still a worthwhile endeavor to find a mark free, strong strike coins.
    As a blanket suggestion, try to find high-grade coins that were only included in Mint sets or, conversely, not included in mint sets. Any 1982-1983 Unc in high-grade is a prize since no mint sets (sans branch mint packaging) were offered through the Mint. Likewise, try to find any Unc dime between 2005-2009. These are the years of the burnished Mint sets. Every other Unc denomination was available in bags (sans the penny). Few hobbyists bothered to save these dimes in business-strike uncirculated condition. Also, try to find the 2005-P West Virginia, 2006-P Nevada, 2006-D North Dakota, 2008-P New Mexico, and 2008-D Hawaii quarters in high-grade. These are a real bear. Do not forget Kennedy Halves – any P or D in MS 67 or better. The strikes are good but the contact marks are horrible and even most of the bagged coins are “Baggy”. The 2009 copper penny is interesting because it was only included in Mint sets as was the 1996-W dime and some other year Kennedy Halves. The 1981-S Type 1 proofs are still out there undiscovered, as are many Unc double die and MM varieties.
    As to commemoratives, look for Unc $.50 clads. These are a real contest in high-grade. As a hint, one of the often-overlooked hiding places is the Young People’s Collector sets. For some reason, the specimens in these sets are far superior to the standard mint-packaged offerings.
    There are many more as others have suggested so this should keep you busy for a while. You will not get “rich” on these pieces but finding and holding these coins without paying a premium is the “fun” in collecting. Enjoy!
    ron

unus multorum
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 5:26AM

The Close AM 1992 and 1992-D Lincolns, the Wide AM 1998, 1999 and 2000 Lincolns and the high-leaf low-leaf Wisconsin state quarters are easy to spot with cursory glances, and are out there in circulation.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    The Close AM 1992 and 1992-D Lincolns, the Wide AM 1998, 1999 and 2000 Lincolns and the high-leaf low-leaf Wisconsin state quarters are easy to spot with cursory glances, and are out there in circulation.

Out of the three groups listed, try hunting down the "'92/92D" Close AM's! If found, the reward will be GREAT! Very tough to find. :o

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Well, obviously, CladKing needs to weigh in here. Just from his past posts, I have learned that collecting a set of clad quarters from circulation--or well-struck uncirculated coins--poses a significant challenge and is a lot of fun. Personally, I love Jeff nickels from circulation and, about ten years ago was able to find all but about 13 from circulation over the course of a couple of years of occasional bank roll searching, some in amazing condition. It was a lot more fun than buying slabs on eBay.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file