Home U.S. Coin Forum

1928 Peace Dollar...To Dip or Not to Dip...That is the Question....

VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2017 6:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi Guys, picked up this 1928 Peace Dollar, was in the envelope for quite a while....looks to have promise under all of that darkness...in it right to take a chance.... thoughts with how to proceed???

Best and safe holiday weekend to all!

RJ

Comments

• UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

it might be a little too dark...... Maybe 50/50 dip/water for 5 seconds just to see how she looks and then proceed from there.. I had a barber quarter a few weeks ago that I over did it and it was about this dark.... Coin looks funny now.

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really dark. I doubt you will get a blast white coin out of there, but you may be able to get waves or patches of bright and dark mixed together. I would expect that coin to be too dark to be a reasonable candidate for what you propose.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe there is much hope for your coin. Good luck.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try MS70 first. Dipping a coin this dark is a last resort.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would probably try acetone first, or possibly MS70, even if you plan to dip it
    (assuming you are talking about EZ est or something similar).
    There looks to be contamination in or on the heavy tone, which may hinder the uniformity of the dip. It may even look Ok just using the MS70.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I guess I should have used better verbiage....acetone first....then go from there....after closer examination it has a few hits on face and neck...reed mark on eagle...guess I am trying to lighten up as seems like some good detail underneath....thanks for all the suggestions!

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you feel the coin would gain considerable market/sale value by altering the surface tarnish, then spend the few extra dollars to have it evaluated by PCGS or other competent professionals.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without even opening the thread I was going to say no! However, this coin is pretty far down on the eye appeal spectrum as-is.

With that coin I'd try acetone first and carefully inspect it for luster while submerged. For some reason, it's easier to see hidden luster that way. If there's luster, dip away. The length of dip doesn't really matter IMO. I've left coins in EZ-est for days with no detrimental effect IF THERE WAS LUSTER THERE TO START WITH. If you don't see much underlying luster, maybe just leave it alone. All you'll have at the end is a dead, ugly coin if you dip it.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you know what you are doing, No. Even if you know what you are doing, No. Trade out of it for a better example.

• IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Do NOT dip that peace dollar. The luster is gone. All you'll do is reveal oxidation pitting and a dull, grey, awful surface.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

An example of some 'conservation' done some years ago and the subject of a thread I posted on the subject. Might give you an idea of what to expect.
    Before:

photo 1913dimecomposite.jpg

After:
    photo 1913Dimecompositepost.jpg

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you good fortune with that, I have had some good results, but better let the experts handle it, you could try this stuff which will not remove metal but is very mild so it may still be dark: http://www.conservcoins.com/

I had ICG do a dip for me and had good results: http://i.imgur.com/CvvbPfn.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ZJ0XALk.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OQD040L.jpg http://i.imgur.com/GGVentm.jpg

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just leave it alone.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would limit it to acetone. From your pictures it has those hard, engrained, crusty black spots that will not budge unless you dip it long enough to pit it!

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay the doctor

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice AU

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 4:01PM

You now have a dark been-in-a-fire look than many will classify as ED, VF details.
    Dipped, you will get a dull battleship gray coin that many will correctly classify as ED, VF details
    You now have a dark been-in-a-fire look that many will correctly classify as ED,

Ultrasonic and detergent (no phosphates) seem better than anything else.
    Can't mess it up, the dirt on it isn't hiding anything the rot has not.

If you paid over $100 you're in trouble; not sure you could sell it either way.at $65. :'(
    Hard to get $175 for a lustrous white Unc details cleaned with too many fine lines and yet nothing you'd call a scratch. :'(

Absolutely no one but Blind Lemon Jefferson wants an 1928 that FUBAR, and he's dead. :'(

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 4:59PM

CAMC,
    'Try to sell it at a show with more than 20 tables. 375 other coin people will want to know your name. I have 27, but the smelter told me to come back when I had 50 oz or more. Told me I'd lose 14c in silver value if I dipped it.

I'll go 11/5 on crazy, 21/5 on both.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

I'd leave it. Don't think you will like the results of dipping.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 10:08PM

edited May 27, 2017 10:09PM

It looks terminal to me. I would flip it and move on.

@BryceM said:

>

With that coin I'd try acetone first and carefully inspect it for luster while submerged. For some reason, it's easier to see hidden luster that way. If there's luster, dip away. The length of dip doesn't really matter IMO. I've left coins in EZ-est for days with no detrimental effect IF THERE WAS LUSTER THERE TO START WITH. If you don't see much underlying luster, maybe just leave it alone. All you'll have at the end is a dead, ugly coin if you dip it.

Leaving it there for days would seemingly kill any luster that was there to begin with.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2017 12:00AM

It's more complicated than this but in general, weak acids react with silver sulfide, not metallic silver.

Get some highly lustrous, melt-value coins and try it if you don't believe me. I'm not saying you don't have to be careful or that bad things can't happen when chemicals and coins meet, but the basic chemistry of tarnish and what we call "dipping" is misunderstood by most.

It's natural (but incorrect) to assume that a fried coin was ruined by over-dipping. Usually, the damage to the original surfaces and flow lines was already there, newly visible once the tarnish was removed.

@PTVETTER said:
    Pay the doctor

Does he make house calls?

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I personally think you'd be very disappointed if you dip it. I doubt you'd ever get a white coin and if you did dip it long enough to get it white it would look funny and every flaw and surface mark will be very evident if not amplified.

I think better to try to get it lightened up but still dark so that it doesn't look cleaned and may avoid that "ED" designation

I'd put it in an ultrasonic cleaner with water and mild soap and then evaluate. Perhaps a acetone dip afterwards but see what you get after the ultrasonic cleaning.

~~~~

edited May 28, 2017 8:09AM

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said: "I seldom sell any coins ever."

Newbies take note. What I write here does not apply to the folks who can drop thousands of dollars on a coin they like or a dinner out with friends. They reside in a different part of the collecting spectrum from Redfield to Lilly. For the rest of the accumulators, hoarders, and collectors who NEVER, RARELY, or SELDOM sell coins keep this hobby ticking while they finance the homes, autos, and collections of of everyone else. May they be blessed.

While there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with anything we choose to collect and any way we choose to do it - IMHO, each of us should make a promise to at the least try to get an offer to buy one of our treasures. It will prepare you mentally for the time it comes to sell. Hopefully, when that time comes, you will not be counting on the money to keep you going.

Additionally, you may possibly develop a more discerning eye for coins that has nothing to do with their price.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

That el' buff out. Just kidding. Seriously , time to check all your stored coins from time to time. Paper can be both an enemy of silver , or friend ( Rainbow) good luck. I would leave it and put in an lower grade matched set of Peace dollars.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't think it will ever look good no matter what you do...

Mea Culpa if I'm incorrect. You are! :smiley:

Note to you: This whole forum is a soap box and now that you have stepped down from the box...I stand by my pompous post 100%.

Additionally, you may try to comprehend this part of the reply I made concerning your post above to avoid comments such as yours from anyone: "While there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with anything we choose to collect and any way we choose to do it..."

I don't know anything about 99.5% of the posters here. I am not very interested to know anything about all but a few. I joined here to learn and also to pass pompous opinions based on what very little experience I have as a dealer, collector, and reader of many things...

I hope any attempt you make to improve that dollar works out for you! Please post the results as circulated coins are very tricky to improve. :wink:

Thanks to all for the opinions and advise...I think I just want to get the coin to look a little more "market acceptable" so I can pop it into a local site seen auction and move a long.

More importantly, thanks to all of those who served, as I know many of you have, and I hope the rest of us can take at least a moment today and remember the true meaning of Memorial Day.

Best regards,
    RJ

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file