Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another recent CBH purchase with lots of neat die cracks....1818 O.104b

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2017 6:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Got this nicely toned 1818 from Sunshine Rare Coins....they have really nice coins! Thanks David

Dave #226

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like the die cracks.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin.

Larry

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad that you like it!

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Whoa... where are all these CBH's coming from?

Gorgeous!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting die cracks.... Not sure why, but die cracks are starting to interest me... I guess because they differ slightly from coin to coin as it progresses... Would be interesting to have a progressive set...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

WOW !

• Options
    edited May 28, 2017 8:48AM

Ricko, I couldn't agree with you more. That's just one of the many reasons I love this series!

The 1818 O.104 DM happened to have more die cracks than your typical CBH die before it stopped being used. The pic above O.104b represents the terminal die state with all the advanced cracks that developed, including the one from the edge to the drapery in front of the first 1 and the one seen joining all the stars on the right.

I happen to have an example of the earlier die state as well, O.104a, where the cracks described above are not seen, and the other ones are not as developed, as shown in the pic below...

Dave #226

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice error coin

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

Your 1818 O-104b could possibly be the best known in this very interesting die state. Looks really nice. Bet you paid a lot for your coin.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

Thanks Mozin. It certainly wasn't cheap but in my opinion, it was worth every cent!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

The die must have cracked fairly early in its life. Notice that the stars are relatively intact and have not yet started to work their way to the rim. Nice coin!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    The die must have cracked fairly early in its life. Notice that the stars are relatively intact and have not yet started to work their way to the rim. Nice coin!

Yes, interesting observation 291fifth. The JRCS has written a few very interesting articles in their journal on the 1818 O-104a and b die states. It appears that the 104 prime die state (without any obv die cracks) is actually quite rare, as not many examples are known, so I imagine the die for this marriage must have started to break up pretty early on its life.

I would love to see anyone who could show us a 1818 O-104 prime without the obv die cracks as I have never seen one.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin and interesting observations on the die cracks.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey drddm, while I can't show a prime I do have another b die state.
    I remember years ago debating the die stage and whether it should be called a "b"
    At that time the b stage was a really high R 6 or 7 if I remember correctly.
    What I do remember is that to definitively call it a b stage it had to show a crack formed through
    stars 8-13.
    Excuse my old pics and the fact the coin was cleaned when I found her.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2017 6:44PM

That's a nice example of the "b" die state JRocco. The die crack through stars 8-13 is very well seen on your coin, but the toning obscures that die crack on mine, although it's definitely there.

As for the "b" state being a R6 or 7, I'm thinking it's probably a R6 now.

One can only assume that soon after the die crack appeared through the stars on the right, they stopped using this die.

Dave #226

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure can see the star 8-13 crack on your example.
    That is a beautiful example of this tough variety.
    1818 was a really fun year in this series.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file