Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Phoenix Hotel Coin, Lexington KY - any information?

Hello from the currency side of the board.

I am posting here to request any information you may have on the coin, below, which is from the Phoenix Hotel which once stood in Lexington, Ky. One of my hobbies to collect memorabilia from that hotel. This coin appeared on eBay recently and I could not pass it up.

Any idea as to the year it was issued? I thought I would ask the coin experts for their help and I appreciate any information you have.

Thanks.

Mike
Collecting small-size star notes.
Mishawaka, IN

Comments

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

nothing near an expert but any chance that is a coat check tag or room key tag? the hole and lack of an explanation of the what the 50 is for makes me think it wasn't for monetary use.

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Thank you for this insight! the ebay seller called it a coin, but your theory is a good one. I appreciate this insight.

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like a room key tag....and would fit the time frame (I think) you are talking about.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 4:48PM

Check Jeff Garrett's office. His office is in Lexington.

Not holed and no sign of a bezel or solder. Lexington's a river town, or at least there's a bridge to cross to Cincinnati, Is the edge inscribed "Gambling and whores. Get lucky twice!".

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

Thanks

@ColonelJessup said:
    Check Jeff Garrett's office. His office is in Lexington.

Not holed and no sign of a bezel or solder. Lexington's a river town, or at least there's a bridge to cross to Cincinnati, Is the edge inscribed "Gambling and whores. Get lucky twice!".

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭

I think they tore down that hotel around 1980 to build the World Coal Center- that was never built!

image"Darkside" gold
  • Options

@lclugza said:
    I think they tore down that hotel around 1980 to build the World Coal Center- that was never built!

Yes. As an aficionado, I have done research into it. It was torn down in 1982. kyphotoarchive.com/2016/10/10/phoenix-hotel-demolition-1982/

Wallace Wilkinson had the bright Idea to buy the land and build, as you have noted, the World Coal Center. That went nowhere. The lot sat vacant for a while when the city of Lexington decided to turn in into a park, which was originally named "Central Park," which no one in Lexington liked. I know, I was there then. Eventually the City Council choose Phoenix Park. I addition to the park, the main branch of the public library was on the site, as well as a condominium high rise (well, high for Lexington).

The stupidity of tearing down the building has been decried since. Even with the decision, Wilkinson was elected governor. Lexington did not learn its lesson as, in the last decade, an entire city block of historic buildings, across the street from where the Phoenix stood was leveled to make way for the "Center Point"...thing, which no one seems to know the purpose of, other than giving the Webb Brothers (local building contractors who ruin every project they get ahold of) something to do. Sorry, I digress

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file