Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

VCP Problems

Today is the third one in a row that I have not been able to access my want lists on either my desktop or IPad. VCP did not respond to my email. Is anyone else having an issue? My computer times out when I click in a card. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

I was just on a couple of hours ago. No issues on my end.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@mrpeanut39 said:
    I was just on a couple of hours ago. No issues on my end.

Thanks. Still not working for me. Still no response from VCP.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

I just rejoined and I have one of the original issues plaguing the site from the beginning, which is someone posted a '71 Munson card saying it was "like a psa 8" and of course it wasn't but that hurt the VCP avg. of the 8s (or maybe it was 7s). Is there an remedy to this issue?

• Options

@Mintacular said:
    I just rejoined and I have one of the original issues plaguing the site from the beginning, which is someone posted a '71 Munson card saying it was "like a psa 8" and of course it wasn't but that hurt the VCP avg. of the 8s (or maybe it was 7s). Is there an remedy to this issue?

At the bottom of the page, click on "Report a Problem on this Page." I have done so many times.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Customer service could use a little improvement.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

The idea behind the VCP is great but it's far from accurate.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Considering all the fiddle-farting with prices over the past year, I place little value on the published values of VCP, however, it makes for an excellent reference tool when attempting to figure who is messing around with the current market.

• Options

For how much dealers / sellers rely on the VCP avg there seem to be some major flaws in the data that should be addressed. That said, some good data there and good to see someone came up with a better system than the book prices of beckett, smr, etc. Just seems like you could hire a high school kid to weed out some of the bad data

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:
    For how much dealers / sellers rely on the VCP avg there seem to be some major flaws in the data that should be addressed. That said, some good data there and good to see someone came up with a better system than the book prices of beckett, smr, etc. Just seems like you could hire a high school kid to weed out some of the bad data

I see this in other business ventures....data...flawed...decision making = less than optimal. Vcp is a guide..not an absolute...just like ebay past sales...sme...beckett....etc. guides....not law....as long as people realize that...they are great tools.

• Options
    KauaBBKauaBB Posts: 17

I am Bobby and me and my partner Carlos have responded to the OP Mark on every email requesting a URL for the problem he is having with no response on his part. This got us very frustrated because we did reach out to try to fix the problem and think he finally got one of our emails or the PM we sent him via VCP site. I believe for some reason our emails went to his spam or junk email folders so he thought we did nothing when in fact he was wrong. The problem he is having not seeing his WL sounds like it is only for him because if that was the case for all our members I would be getting 1000's of emails and complaints which I am not receiving. We are trying to resolve his situation.

I have been doing this for 10 years now and I answer every email sent to me in a very timely fashion usually within minutes of receiving. We try our best to give the best customer service humanly possible.

Any errors you see in our database there is a button on the bottom right of every page of the site "Report a Problem" just click on it and I get a detail of the error along with a URL directly to the error to fix. Again this is usually completed and fixed within minutes of reporting.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Do you have any plans to expand the database to reach modern cards?

• Options

I reported a few problems today. But how about this one, a $13.00 Jordan rookie (psa 7 or 8) which clearly was a listing error on eBay, would VCP remove this? Also, I noticed on a handful of searches the "average" appears to just to repeat the last sale and does not "crunch" the overall numbers for an accurate average--have you guys noticed this issue?

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I would like to see modern Hof auto cards; I think that would at least be a great start.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2017 8:13PM

@Mintacular said:
    I reported a few problems today. But how about this one, a $13.00 Jordan rookie (psa 7 or 8) which clearly was a listing error on eBay, would VCP remove this? Also, I noticed on a handful of searches the "average" appears to just to repeat the last sale and does not "crunch" the overall numbers for an accurate average--have you guys noticed this issue?

Depends on how many sales there is in the last year. If there are only one then the last sale prices is the value. I saw the errors you reported and fixed them, I don't recall seeing the Jordan rookie in one of them though. And yes we would remove it if reported or put it in it's proper place.

• Options

The more I look the more obvious issues there are, for example looking up an sgc jeter foil sp there was an outlier of $379 but this was an autograph! Reported the issue but man this stuff really skews the numbers and based on the last 24 hours seems like this type of stuff plagues this site. Again, would think paying an intern $10 an hour this type of mistake should not be around

• Options

@tonylags said:
    I would like to see modern Hof auto cards; I think that would at least be a great start.

This is something we would like to do in the future add 2000-2009 and only cover the star players in the sets. Not a easy task and with everything we have right now work wise it is a tall task to cover. Hope to have this in the site by the end of the year. Think it would be like our 90's sections now and only get the data after the sale and it won't be good for the WL.

• Options

So basically these vcp averages are extremely flawed.... I can see one making arguments about well this card is centered or has greater eye appeal, etc. in buying-selling cards @ VCP but some of the numbers are just flat wrong

• Options

@Mintacular said:
    So basically these vcp averages are extremely flawed.... I can see one making arguments about well this card is centered or has greater eye appeal, etc. in buying-selling cards @ VCP but some of the numbers are just flat wrong

I don't think they are flawed...we have 10 years of data on our site and there are some cards that just do not sell very often. So lets say a card that last sold 5 years ago for $1000 then again the same card in the same grade sold today for $600. Right now the value of that card is only $600 because that is what someone is willing to pay for it. We just can not average the old values into this card it would not be correct. That is why if no sales occur within the past year it is the last sale value. Luckily this does not happen very often and most of the data we have is on mainstream sets with lots of data points in order to give an average value on the card.

• Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I find that every now and again I will find a card that does not seem to compute price wise, only to find it is a different variation, or the seller listed incorrectly on eBay, and the sale went through without ever being changed. I usually pull this value out of the equation, and average myself. I agree with Mintacular above, that an inexpensive intern could go through and review the data once a month and verify that the card was posted correctly.

Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options

@MrG said:
    I find that every now and again I will find a card that does not seem to compute price wise, only to find it is a different variation, or the seller listed incorrectly on eBay, and the sale went through without ever being changed. I usually pull this value out of the equation, and average myself. I agree with Mintacular above, that an inexpensive intern could go through and review the data once a month and verify that the card was posted correctly.

If you report the issue to VCP they will correct it. I have done this several times. Click on "Report a Problem on this Page" at the bottom of the screen. Simple process.

• Options

@MrG said:

When you see an error report it and it will be fixed. We do anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 auctions a day and there is no way one person can go through all the listings in a month and correct the errors. Yes 99% of the errors are from sellers not disclosing the correct grade or they don't bother to mention the card has a qualifier. We do have systems in place and we do catch these errors in the high 90 percentile. Once we get a seller that is trying to be dishonest we mark them so that when their new sales appear on our system it tells us they are to be looked at carefully before approving.

• Options

With all due respect, there the VCP average for a PSA 7 Michael Jordan RC card includes a $13.00 sale. How can you argue there aren't some serious problems with these numbers???? Again, I think VCP is a step in the right direction, but still some serious issues, a $13 sale on a 1K card can skew some serious numbers, in a big way....

• Options

@markj111 said:

@MrG said:

If you report the issue to VCP they will correct it. I have done this several times. Click on "Report a Problem on this Page" at the bottom of the screen. Simple process.

Yes, I report the issue each time.

Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options

@MrG said:

@markj111 said:

@MrG said:

Yes, I report the issue each time.

If they are reported then they are fixed...I know its a pain but it is fairly quick to do it and then we keep the data as clean as possible. We are trying to make it easier to report so that it is faster for you. At this time I think there is only about 20 members that actually report errors and I only get a few a day.

• Options

@Mintacular said:

Vcp is a guide....not perfect. Buy the card, not the holder

• Options

Bobby, I did not have to work very hard to identify a card that had incorrect pricing information. On the home page, the card that had risen the most (141%), 1980 Rickey Henderson in PSA 8, new sale for $130 listed, but listing and sale was for two cards. Rickey and Eck. This is what I submitted as a report on the page:

"Latest auction added for this card in PSA 8 is incorrect as auction was for two cards. Rickey and Eck, 1980 Topps #482 Rickey Henderson RC AND 1976 Topps Dennis Eckersley RC PSA 8. The $130 entry skews the price of the data."

I can pretty much do this all day, but my focus is looking for the cards I need to update a set, or a range of price I should sell my updated cards. I use the site as a guide as stated before.

Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Quite a few people posting here have absolutely no idea how much data is being crunched by VCP.

That said one suggestion I would have, if you are not already doing it, is to flag sales that are x percentage off the VCP average for the card and grade. This way something like a $13.00 sale on a $1000 card would be flagged (just like problem sellers) and targeted for review. You can choose x on both the positive and negative side and hopefully catch the more egregious listing errors before people have to report them.

One incorrect item regardless of how far from the baseline is not a serious problem. If half the listings included in the average were wrong that would be serious.

I look forward to you adding 2000-2009 star cards.

Robb

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Bobby is good people. The fact that we even have a VCP is a vlessing. Make use of info which pertains to your interests and notify him when something seems off. I sense that for all the critique being thrown around, there are few people here, or anywhere, who use more than a tiny percentage of available data to support their personal needs, including myself. Spend an entire day of your life identifying other mistakes and then complain.

• Options

@KauaBB said:

@tonylags said:

This is something we would like to do in the future add 2000-2009 and only cover the star players in the sets. Not a easy task and with everything we have right now work wise it is a tall task to cover. Hope to have this in the site by the end of the year. Think it would be like our 90's sections now and only get the data after the sale and it won't be good for the WL.

Any new plans for expanding vcp modern card (2000-now) data tracking in 2019?