Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bremerhaven (a Birthday NEWP)

PCGSPhotoPCGSPhoto Posts: 768 mod
edited May 23, 2017 5:35PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

As I may have mentioned before, I've always had a soft spot for German 3 Mark coins. When I first started here on the CU Message Board (when I still was in college) I had accrued a small collection of Imperial or Kaiserreich 3 mark coins. While that collection is long gone, sometimes I feel nostalgic for the series.

I was never as much of a fan as the Weimar German issues as I was for the Imperial ones, but one day over 2 years ago I came across a few higher end Weimar proofs that were really outstanding. Something about their clean lines and simple designs really popped in proof. The Zeppelin and Oak Tree coins are great, but there was a particular PR68 1927 Bremerhaven that really caught my eye.

I had spent the following 2 and a half years looking for something similar: I'd keep an eye out for one at the shows I attend, passing on some MS coins that left me cold, or the occasional proof version that had toning I didn't quite like on it, or not in the grade I'd like it in. Recently I spotted an offering from Atlas and I thought "This is it. This is the coin I've been looking for". Since it was my birthday coming, I decided to spoil myself and buy it, and it arrived yesterday (the day I turned 37).

This is a PR 67 DCAM. Although the PR 68 I saw a while ago is definitely higher grade, somehow I feel that this one has a little bit more cameo contrast. It also has a hint of luster that I enjoy.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Comments