Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hawaiian Silver Rounds

bullionsilver_hawaiibullionsilver_hawaii Posts: 33
edited May 23, 2017 1:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I did some more research on the Hawaiian silver rounds I purchased earlier this week and began to wonder if they were ACTUALLY legitimate. Here are the pictures of the rounds:

I purchased both of the for $65. I researched on the official website of the royal hawaiian mint and examined the rounds. They seemed legitimate to me, but being a novice collector, I decided to head straight to the forums. The Kalakaua Round is labled ".999 fine One Ounce Troy Silver." The Liliuokalani round has no labels, but has a certificate of authenticity that reads: "This Admission Day Dala is certified to weigh one troy ounce of .999 fine silver."
Please give some input so I know if I should keep the silver or return the two impostors.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2017 11:05PM

Do you think they may be counterfeit Royal Hawaiian Mint (RHM) pieces? RHM generally makes silver rounds and mark them as such with the fineness and weight as you mention. You can check their weight, listen for a silver drop sound, and also get RHM pieces graded / encapsulated by ATS if you would like TPG authentication and guarantees.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They appear to be modern pieces created as replicas of old Hawaiian coins.... Which would make them what we term 'silver rounds'...not actual coins. I do not know much about Hawaiian coinage, so that may be wrong, but they appear to be very new. Check with our forum members from Hawaii. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not certain what you are asking, but they are clearly modern (newly made), from a privately owned mint (RHM) and would be what most would call silver rounds.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2017 9:02AM

There were actual coins made in/for Hawaii in 1883 and 1891. If you're asking if these are they: No. Definitely no.

There were fancy silver bullion pieces which had some of the same design elements made for the 25th anniversary of Hawaiian statehood in 1984. If you're asking if these are genuine 1984 bullion pieces, my guess is probably.
    Their value is tied closely to the value of silver with little numismatic or coin collector appeal. Their value is somewhere between $20 and $30 each. I see one of the Kalakaua pieces failed to sell on eBay on May 5th for $24.95 plus shipping.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

If those are real and genuine mint engravings of an era past in generations I'd think they maight well be worth a near mint.

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 5:34AM

The King Kalakaua round was a 1982 issue by the "The Hawaiian Mint" (name change to Royal Hawaiian Mint"). Listed in Unusual World Coins (Krause Publications) as X# MB4. FDI Mintage is 300. You have a First Day Issue (FDI). That chop mark like marking on the reverse, right lower, is the FDI hallmark.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/hawaii-ounce-x-mb4-1982-cuid-1170835-duid-1415539

The Queen Liliuokalani round was a 1983 issue by the "The Hawaiian Mint" (name change to Royal Hawaiian Mint"). Listed in Unusual World Coins (Krause Publications) as X# MB8. Check the edge for: Serial number and possibly as FDI of "12-4-83".

Mintage: FDI 1,500, normal 3,850

https://ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/hawaii-ounce-x-mb8-1984-cuid-1208899-duid-1415544

The Kalakaua round is listed in **Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog Second Edition **(1991) by Medcalf & Russell as 2M-238

Both rounds are listed in **Waifs in Gold Boots **(minting catalog by The Hawaiian Mint/Royal Hawaiian Mint co-founder Bernard von NotHaus ... and the founder of NORFED).

UPdate: Copy and paste the link in your browser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file