Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Why You Might Want to Buy Your Chinese Coins Already Slabbed

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Ouch, that hurts!

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is why I stopped collecting Chinese coins. While I think that Chinese coins are cool looking coins and their country will become more popular with coin collecting due to the growth in their economy, I don't like how widespread their counterfeits are. I'd rather collect trade dollars over Chinese coins at this point.

Their gov't doesn't stop them and they are getting REALLLLY good at faking them. In 2015 and 2016 I tried to work with eBay to shut down some of the sellers who were selling thousands of dollars of fakes a week, but they would keep creating new names and keep swindling people, so I gave up and sold 90% of my Chinese collection. Here is a side-by-side of a real and fake fatman dollar. The fake is a struck coin and a pretty darn good copy.

You might want to add slabbed by PCGS or NGC. Then again, I've been told I own a counterfeit foreign coin in an NGC holder, but that is a whole different story, haha.

The NGC coin is real and the other no-name is a fake I knowingly bought off eBay.

S

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add, that is why you start small and you learn to swim before you jump into the deep end...

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

A rather chilling post to say the least.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2017 8:30PM

But, but, but...the label says 26.8 grams...how can this be???!!!

Seriously though, it's also rather disturbing that the slab itself so resembles the NGC one, labels aside. Yikes!

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2017 8:11PM

That's why even in Chinese auction, coin graded by Chinese company are sell for a lot less than NGC and PCGS.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scary stuff indeed!

• IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

The hair on the fake is pretty funny.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think many collectors are trying to deny, to themselves, just how serious the fake coin problem has become. The age of raw is over and, if the quality of the fakes gets much better, the age of coin collecting may be over as well.

The fakes sure have come a long way from the clumsy fake trade dollars of the late 1990s, haven't they?

All glory is fleeting.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

collecting Chinese stuff sure is scary....not gonna take a chance at all

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes!

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    collecting Chinese stuff sure is scary....not gonna take a chance at all

Risk and reward always go together. I sold a AU50 auto dollar to a buyer. He sent it to PCGS conserve it and regarded it for AU55. Then he sent it to SB auction and made 20K out of it. Chinese coin has a huge collection base in China which provide a big support for the price.