Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Britain Pickups at Estate Sale Yesterday: World Coins Went Cheap!

I normally don't go out of my way to purchase world coins; however, I could not pass these coins up. The Estate sale was of the late Leonard L. Ewers, and he collected both U.S. coins, and World coins- mostly British. I went to the preview of the sale the day before to see what would be worth pursuing, and surprisingly, I didn't really see any U.S. coins that I couldn't live without. Well, I reached over to a few Whitman books that were labeled "Great Britain Silver Type Set," and about fell over! Beautiful, beautiful coins...well, to make a long story short, a few of us went home happy yesterday! ;)

1797 Penny- I think? The plastic is chewed up a bit on 2x2 near George III's eye.

1799 1/2 Penny

1887 6 Pence Proof

1877 Maundy Money

1902 Crown

Could any of you please tell me what the error edge is on the 1902 Crown? I purchased this coin, along with the 1927 Proof, 1935 Silver Jubilee, 1937 Coronation, 1951 Festival of Britain, 1953 Coronation, and the 1960 Proof which were in Silver Type Book. It's a partial book, but in it are also two nice shilings- early bu, and a nice early half crown. Plan to give all the coins pictured a nice acetone soak.

Thanks,

Rich

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick ups!

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every estate sale I've been to does not have anything of that quality regardless of price. Dang.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice finds. Hope you got them for a decent price

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Haul!

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont acetone the copper. Use mineral oil.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    nice finds. Hope you got them for a decent price

Thanks all for the kind comments! This acquisition really piqued my interest in World Coins, and wish I had known more about these coins going in than what I had. The strategy I used in purchasing some of these was buying the "oldest, yet nicest." I should have bought more; but, a few other coin collectors needed to have their share of the glory.

Boosibri, the 1797 Penny, lot 208, pictured above I bought for $52.50. The 1799 1/2 Penny sold for $40. The 6 Pence 1887 I snagged for $27.50, and the Maundy money 1877 I bought for $42.50. I also bought the partial book of "Great Britain Silver Type Set," from 1902-1960 for $275. Has all the Crowns, and two early Shillings, Half Crowns, all BU.

About the only coin I bought close to real value was a 1947 Panama Balboa for $30 in Unc. condition. I kick myself for buying that...lol!

Thanks,

Rich

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    Dont acetone the copper. Use mineral oil.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion ACop. I know mineral oil does a helluva job removing cosmoline from firearms. It won't alter, or, change the color of copper on coins? If so that's cool as I got some extra mineral oil around.

Thanks again,

Rich

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave the crown as it is. It looks to have a very attractive original skin. And that coin alone should likely fetch more than what you paid for the GB type set. I would also leave the half crowns and shillings as they are if they have similar skin as the crown. Again, congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that you did well.