Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does PCGS slab hobo nickels and other carved coins?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2020 11:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does PCGS slab hobo coins like the following. I like this because it lists it as it is intended and doesn't say the coin is damaged.

Which TPGs are good for hobos, without listing them as damaged?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen some in SEGS along with IGC. For some reason I think ANACS may now be doing them too, but I would't bet the farm.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I like Hobo nickels, and consider them historical artifacts (albeit recent history), and the skills of contemporary artists are often remarkable, I do not understand how it can be given a 'grade' since it is 'altered surfaces' at best, and 'damaged' at worst......Perhaps a different grading system - that I could agree with... although that is highly unlikely. Just does not make sense to have a damaged coin as - i.e. MS63 alongside a Morgan or Trade Dollar (or any other coin) of the same grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well your average hobo is what, 5'6" to 5'10"? So it would be an awfully big slab. Plus you've have to shower the hobo and that would make it cleaned, right?

Did PCGS do Lenin's mausoleum in Moscow or does that predate their founding?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Well your average hobo is what, 5'6" to 5'10"? So it would be an awfully big slab. Plus you've have to shower the hobo and that would make it cleaned, right?

I think he's in an ACG slab.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect, why in the world would you want to slab a hobo coin?

If it was being attributed to a specific artist or otherwise preserving sone sort of provenance then I would understand it, but the one shown here has a label that adds absolutely nothing that we do not already know or settle anything that is in dispute.

Maybe I am missing something....

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Hobo Nickel Society" attributes and authenticates, IIRC......

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I'll agree the coin is "damaged" or altered, it is "artistic damage" and not a fraudulent alteration made to deceive.

Why would you slab a nail, washer, silver round, etc? BECAUSE PEOPLE COLLECT THEM! A slab protects them and gives them the semblance of being "special."

Note that the label on the OP's slab says "STYLE." That tells me it is a an "engraving exercise" at the present time. Why would some one carve up a Trade dollar a century ago? Who knows. Perhaps to pass the time. Nevertheless, decades after we are dead that "hobo" style Ike dollar will be sought after and that is a sure thing!.

As for grading, if the reverse is Uncirculated...

I've seen modern "Hobo" coins in slabs attributed to the artist.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Why would you slab a nail, washer, silver round, etc? BECAUSE PEOPLE COLLECT THEM! A slab protects them and gives them the semblance of being "special."

I've seen modern "Hobo" coins in slabs attributed to the artist.

I never said don't put it in a holder, but why a slab? So all the holders can match? That might explain it if someone collects only ICG slabbed coins... In the old days a nice three-piece screw-together plexiglass Capitol plastics holder was where you parked your most treasured coins.

If a coin is slabbed and attributed to an artist then that would be useful. Then again, who is doing the attribution? If it is done by an expert then it means something, but if they are just putting a name on the label based on what the submitter told them then that is at best irrelevant and at worst dangerous.

• Options

@thebeav said:
    The "Hobo Nickel Society" attributes and authenticates, IIRC......

If the HNS could team up with a TPG then that would be incredibly useful.

• Options

@JBK said: "I never said don't put it in a holder, but why a slab? So all the holders can match? That might explain it if someone collects only ICG slabbed coins... In the old days a nice three-piece screw-together plexiglass Capitol plastics holder was where you parked your most treasured coins. "

I think any numismatic item would appear to be more "special" if it were in a TPGS holder. I believe other companies besides ICG slabs this stuff.

@JBK added: "f a coin is slabbed and attributed to an artist then that would be useful. Then again, who is doing the attribution? If it is done by an expert then it means something, but if they are just putting a name on the label based on what the submitter told them then that is at best irrelevant and at worst dangerous."

I agree. AFAIK, all of the "EX-PERTS" at the four major TPGS take their job seriously. IMO, It would be stupid to take the word of a submitter without due diligence as ALL FOUR COMPANIES stand behind their products 100%. I've been told on several occasions that most TPGS customers are dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to coins! LOL.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

With all the minor flaws the major TPG's will not grade it would be an outrage to grade a ground up coin.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

How do they get food? The slab is supposed to be sealed. If it is not sealed there is no guarantee on the grading.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:

@BStrauss3 said:

How do they get food? The slab is supposed to be sealed. If it is not sealed there is no guarantee on the grading.

Liquid diet? Only the special newest slabs are liquid proof.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if they are not breathing.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like that IKE Hobo for some reason :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I do like that IKE Hobo for some reason :smile:

The engraver did a good job. Some of the new stuff is pure crap. If you catch a carver at a show they will often have nickels they crank out like "velvet art" for around $10 each - flea market fodder. I have one. Even looking through a dozen pieces of similar junk, one will be the best...LOL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file