Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do these coins hurt TPGs or not?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2017 11:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

These types of TPG coins come up a lot when looking for toners now. One of these sold for $185 according to WatchCount. Then I got thinking that since TPG guarantees don't cover toning premiums, how big of a deal are these and how much do they actually harm TPGs?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

What am I looking at here? Is this someone's sales pitch? The "premium" I would pay for a coin toned like that is zero.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable... and..IMO... unacceptable - not the slab, the hype/rubbish along with it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Well sometimes you have to ask yourself, Why didn't that coin get a Questionable Color

• Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

The coin and tpg are not the problem.

my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

That toning just looks awful! :astonished:

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    Well sometimes you have to ask yourself, Why didn't that coin get a Questionable Color

If the underlying coin is fine then why would you not grade it? Just ignore the color like it isn't there.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, $300 for toning premium, but there's also a $350 ugliness penalty that needs to be applied to that coin.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@TopographicOceans said:

If the underlying coin is fine then why would you not grade it? Just ignore the color like it isn't there.

...but it's wasn't there.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    What am I looking at here? Is this someone's sales pitch? The "premium" I would pay for a coin toned like that is zero.

+1

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they probably hurt "The Hobby", since they give the illusion that those coins are acceptable, and even desirable.

By extension, seeing them in TPG plastic gives the illusion that they have accepted them...and that can't be GOOD.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 9:30AM

To answer the OP's question...... It ain't helping.

At the end of the day, consumer demand drives what is "produced" by suppliers. Let's face it..... if there wasn't a demand for it somewhere, nobody would be doing this. As always, education is the only effective plan. Too many can't be bothered.

I suspect that many of our highly esteemed treasures were also "helped along" by people with a bit more skill than the guy who ruined this one. There are some VERY smart chemists and metallurgists in the world.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do TPGs also issue logo-marked stick-on bandages for when they are hurt?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@TopographicOceans said:

...but it's wasn't there.

So this has me thinking. If gassing coins in slabs produces somewhat consistent results and is a widespread problem, would it be prudent for TPGs to show what these look like and educate buyers about gassed slabs and how their guarantees treat them?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 9:52AM

Scans of all graded coins, similar to what NGC does, would help keep future coins from being gassed like this.

Otherwise, buyers need to learn more about market acceptable toning before purchasing something for 180 that is gassed. However, if someone likes this (or doesn't wish to learn) and has the money, then nothing can really stop them from purchasing it.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    These types of TPG coins come up a lot when looking for toners now. One of these sold for $185 according to WatchCount. Then I got thinking that since TPG guarantees don't cover toning premiums, how big of a deal are these and how much do they actually harm TPGs?

No. The coin is obviously AT and appears that it may have been gassed. In my humble opinion, representing that the coin has increased value because of the artificial toning, a blatantly false statement and intentional mistatement of fact, is fraud. Sadly, I doubt any prosecutor would pursue him for wire or mail fraud.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that toning detracts from the value of the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file