Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strangest things sent to PCGS to encapsulate

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 14, 2017 10:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across this. What are some other strange things that have been sent to PCGS to encapsulate?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really a mint error!! LOL

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the label must be in error... since it cannot be 7 FEET by 3 3/4 FEET... As the label indicates...and it is either from 1943 cents or the color is way off.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I know the label must be in error... since it cannot be 7 FEET by 3 3/4 FEET... As the label indicates...and it is either from 1943 cents or the color is way off.... Cheers, RickO

It does state 1943 for date. ;)

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would take a BIG plastic slab at 7 FEET by 3 3/4 FEET ! Heck, it would need its own table at a coin show.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if you look at the strip compared to the flip I would say the size is 7" x 3 3/4".

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

True...but that is NOT what is on the label....and that is my point. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strangest things sent to PCGS to encapsulate...

We saw this not too long ago.
    Lance.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

so..........................it isn't a Mint error but it is an error insert??

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and we all KNOW that labels don't lie and we have to "buy the label not the coin!" ;)

• Options
    edited May 14, 2017 4:39PM

I have to wonder what holder they would have used if "DO NOT HOLDER" wasn't on the insert!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I have to wonder what holder they would have used if "DO NOT HOLDER" wasn't on the insert!

They'd use a big PSA holder... this strip must have been too big or they otherwise didn't want to holder it for some reason. I've posted this in another thread before... saw it posted by a dealer on Facebook not too long ago:

:+1:

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note that this one was not apparently sent in as a "mint error" and PCGS knew the difference between inches and feet at the time.

:)

• Options
    edited May 14, 2017 11:09PM

It's cool that LIBERTY is fully present and well positioned on the nail.

Here's something I didn't realize PCGS would slab:

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few Victorian era gold plated buttons........anyone know if PCGS encapsulates those?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't 'send' it to PCGS, but it was 'in' PCGS
    when encapsulated ---

--- The Cricket Holder   ---

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Just a few weeks ago someone submitted a Flying Eagle Cent and requested a photo.

The coin had been long ago graffitied in such a way that it was no longer the flying eagle, but flying male anatomy.

Needless to say we did not holder it.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Just a few weeks ago someone submitted a Flying Eagle Cent and requested a photo.

The coin had been long ago graffitied in such a way that it was no longer the flying eagle, but flying male anatomy.

without pictures, it never happened!!!

I'm sure they have pictures....that will never ever be seen by the general public.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2017 10:26AM

@Zoins said:
    Just ran across this. What are some other strange things that have been sent to PCGS to encapsulate?

@Zoins said:

At first I didn't believe this is scrap from punching out planchets for the steel cent and likely steel scrap from punching out washers for nuts and bolts. The planchet holes look larger in comparison with the label and a Lincoln cent I placed on a slab holder label in front of me. But then I remembered, they must really round up the planchet when they make the edges.

Leo :smiley:

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

i never understood why some sent things in like that but thats just me. jmo

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2017 12:23PM

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:

@PCGSPhoto said:

without pictures, it never happened!!!

:* Google has it all !

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:

I wonder if that was the piece I once sold, or another like it?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file