Home Metal Detecting

So, write books, 'eh? How about searching for a '49er camp?

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the deal. My Great Grandfather, Matt Rinckel, was a California 49er. Yes, he went west at the news of the gold discovery with hopes of getting a claim and getting wealthy. Well, he did both! One of the few that actually made money and got rich from digging nuggets (that's why it's in my blood I think).
He and 5 friends left there farms in Iowa at age 17 and headed west to the gold fields. They ended up going way north, up into Shasta county, to find a stream to work. Ten years later my GGF sold his part of the claim to the other boys and went to Nevada at the start of the Silver/Gold discovery in Virginia City. He didn't do any mining in NV but instead helped build the first buildings in Carson City. Then he opened the Eagle Market and got richer selling food to the miners, etc.
Well, I've decided to take a trip (no date yet) to see his diggings. That is if I can locate them. You can google earth Rinckel, CA and see that the town named after him is now underwater. But, that should get me close to the claim, I hope.
Hopefully I'll be able to get some information on the town that was in nearby McCloud or in Redding. Maybe info on the claim too.
It should be a blast and will have the detector with me just to let the wife swing it! I'll use the pinpointer!!

Any tips for this trip will be appreciated.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, sounds like a great adventure. My uncle had a claim on the Trinity river N. California and found some nice nuggets. Look forward to your hunt report. Only tip I have is G. Earth and name search.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That should be a really fun trip.... gold country is interesting and fun, I panned there many times. After all the rains this year, there should be some productive streams and likely some new exposed stream banks. Good luck...Cheers, RickO

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting bit of history, thanks for sharing that with us.
    Sounds like a fun trip\adventure!

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I google earth the area. It could be his diggings are now underwater as well as the townsite. There are a few side creeks in the area that are still above water and he could have worked one of those.

Google earth is working out fantastic for me with the desert gold prospecting as everything that has been done to the land over the last 400 years is still visible. Unfortunately for you, the area you are researching is covered in forest with can hide mining remnants on google earth.

Good luck on your quest, sounds fascinating .

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see what appears to be earth depressions in one side canyon and also some what looks like timbers but may just be fallen trees. It will be fun to do regardless of what I find. I might just get a bit more information on my GGF and then can I write a book???

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly this type of activity could form the content of a book... probably not one trip though - unless you find the 'Mother Lode'..... :D Then you likely would not care about writing a book... :D Cheers, RickO