Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Imagine wearing this ANA medal?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 15, 2017 5:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across this ANA medal with bars from 1964 to 1991 on the bay.

A lot of history there. Anyone know who owned this or is working on one of their own?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are called Ladder Badges and holy smokes that's a big one

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That's even better than the Sunday School badges or the old NRA ones we got for shooting the eyes out of a potato at 50 yards.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ultimate Burma Shave ad.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a man wearing one of those at a convention and it reached to the floor!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Hendershott had the ultimate ANA ladder, over 70 bars I believe. The last time I saw him at an ANA convention he was 105!

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Robert_L._Hendershott

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine has 47 bars and I plan to be at Denver to get #48. I wore mine all the time at every ANA until I got 20-25. I can remember when I only had 2 or 3 and felt inadequate when I saw all of the long ones. :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resembles a section of railroad track.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those attendance badges are amazing....shows dedication and devotion to the hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, reminds me of the chain of office the ANA president is supposed to wear when doing official duties at a show.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if that could be Harry Foreman's badge? I seem to remember him wearing one like it at a late 1980's or 1990 ANA summer convention.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember an oldtimer that pinned his on his sport coat and put the end in the pocket. When asked how long it was he pulled it out and let it drop to the floor. I'm working on getting mine that long. 1980 was my first then I missed a couple years then every one except 1989 to be home for my daughters birth. My baby girl is expecting her first at the end of June. Looking forward to my next chapter as a grandpa!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Mine has 50 bars started in1962 only missed 2 in47 years with a 40 year run from 1969 to 2008. Missed some in recent years as I don't travel much anymore.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, dedication for sure as @ricko stated :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I was a professional numismatist working for Coin World or the ANA or various dealers, so it was work. Now if I go I just go for a day to see old friends. Denver will be very convenient.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I believe that QDB has been to 62 consecutive.

• Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I first met QDB at the 1962 ANA in Detroit, my first one. I still remember seeing this young not much older than me (18) well dressed guy behind a table with some super nice coins in his case, thinking that could be the job for me. Little did I know that 6 years later I would be working behind the those tables for almost 50 years

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Q. David Bowers had to miss the show this year. My attendance is spotty, but I have had fun every time I go.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:
    Sorry to hear that Q. David Bowers had to miss the show this year. My attendance is spotty, but I have had fun every time I go.

That’s awesome! 😎

Do you wear that? :)

• Options

Mine now has 51 bars. I always wore mine at the ANA until I got to around 25 or so. The thing kept getting caught it revolving doors. :)

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

coincidentally it's an accurate indication of how much the member's testicles have descended

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file