Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DCAM shades of gray

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

So it's slightly aggravating that a DCAM designation has shades of "frosty" and "not quite so frosty." (I want full frosty thanks.)

These three coins were all photographed at the same time, in the same fashion, under the same conditions. There is a definite difference in-hand and in-photo between frost and not-frost.

Out of the bottom 3, I'm going with number 3 as my favorite. It shows the best contrast between mirror and deep frost.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2017 11:53AM

Frosty 90%'ers...love 'em!

I need to get a good image of 90% Kennedy PR68CAM

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Creating, implementing and marketing a system ("1-70" grade scale; "+" next to the numerical grade; designations of "Brilliant", "Cameo", "Deep Cameo" and "Ultra Cameo") which communicates to an audience (collectors, dealers, investors and the general public) objective lines of demarcation (measurable with mathematical certainty no less) has taken decades and more of time and effort.

However such a system, when utilized on a coin by coin basis, creates results that make one shake their head and think "WTH". Take a look at the photos of the three 1964 proof half dollars posted in this thread. All three are graded 66 DCAM/UCAM.

Are these coins really "the same"? From how they appear in the photos, no they are not the same. They are qualitatively different and they demonstrate that the current system is not the final say as to the coins in the TPG holders. The system provides a starting point from which hobbyists can begin their own evaluation of a specific coin.

"Buy the coin, not the holder"; "get to know your series"; and "knowledge is power" are sage concepts which will serve one well as he or she plays in the hobby.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

New designation ne plus Ultra CAM

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be the lighting but I do not see DCAM anything in your pictures. The third one seems to be the closes to it, but I would just call that cameo.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Well, for one thing, my photos aren't juiced like they do on ebay. The pics I took were not edited in any way. But for giggles, take a look back up top at coin number 2, and then see what was advertised below.

Also - these coins were made prior to the mint taking specific measures to ensure DCAM like your more modern '92 S.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We must always remember, these designations are subjective.... although the potential for accurate, measurable parameters exist, they are not employed in coin grading. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen DCAM Kennedies that were in my opinion, only borderline CAM coins.
    The designation on sub $100 coins is very arbitrary.
    It's as if they are saying, "Your coin is so virtually worthless and common it doesn't matter what we put on the label. We have better and more expensive coins to grade. Move along, and by the way, please stop sending in this kind of crap."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file