Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm an ON and I work in a shop, ask me anything and I'll answer!! Please make 'em tough.

13»

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

not many, maybe 1-2. most younger collectors come in with an adult and unless they approach the counter I typically end up working with the adult. I encourage them as much as I can but their mentor really needs to be a parent or other family adult, not the guy working in the coin shop. there's just too much to do.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you usually bring your lunch or order in?

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I would say out of a six day week that it's 3-2-1............................take a lunch three days, work through lunch two days and order one day.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

What is the funniest thing that ever happened at the shop?

• Options

that's a hard question because we tend to have a pretty good time. I'll think on it and make another post.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    itsnotjustme --- my boss told me many years ago that if he could do only wholesale he would, it is much easier, and in the long run profitable, than retail with the public. with that said, yes, we do quite a bit of wholesale. he takes care of that and his margins vary. I think it is best if I don't go further than that.

And I thought you said "ask me anything and I will answer". :-)

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harper's Ferry! Did I win?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you do in the idle moments and I see various shops which could be going over their inventory to fine tune their business operations for happier customers.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who supports the commemorative market?

Trick question deserves a tricky answer. Perhaps it's a consortium that calls itself Nemo Hmmm...

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

And I thought you said "ask me anything and I will answer".
    sometimes you just need to be satisfied when the answer is no.

**What do you do in the idle moments **
    we are a Pawn Shop/Coin Shop, we have a Jewelry counter and do a decent amount of wholesale so there really isn't much idle time. I do, however, find time during the day to post here.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    What is the funniest thing that ever happened at the shop?

@keets said:
    And I thought you said "ask me anything and I will answer".
    sometimes you just need to be satisfied when the answer is no.

**What do you do in the idle moments **
    we are a Pawn Shop/Coin Shop, we have a Jewelry counter and do a decent amount of wholesale so there really isn't much idle time. I do, however, find time during the day to post here.

That's not very amusing. :*

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

25 years ago I was told by a dealer that 1986-D rolls of quarters would be worth something in the future, well, the future is now, was he right?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

25 years ago I was told by a dealer that 1986-D rolls of quarters would be worth something in the future, well, the future is now, was he right?
    yes, he was correct. by my latest account that roll would be worth $10, but that is JMHO. you could find a few nice examples in a roll, submit them to PCGS and they will give a value assessment. if you did that and were able to sell the encapsulated coins and added everything up you might find that the "roll" is now worth less than face value.

topo, still thinking. funniest is a hard thing to pin down. I know that lately, whenever a dealer comes in and is talking about needing help, I always offer that in early July I'll have some spare time if they want someone for a few day each week. that always gets the same wry smile and two word response from my boss and everyone laughs knowingly!!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you bought an item(s) that later proved to be worth multiples of what you paid do you think it would ever be warranted to call up the seller to give them more or would that be too messy?

How do you interdict stolen items that walk into your shop and how would you recommend those who have lost numismatic items to theft to pursue lawful remedies?

• Options

**If you bought an item(s) that later proved to be worth multiples **
    that is left to my boss's discretion. I know there have been times when he passed money on at a later time to a seller.

**How do you interdict stolen items **
    we do what we can. you would have to look back in the archives for the thread, but we helped arrange a "sting" to recover some items that had been stolen from Larry Briggs. the thief was a man we routinely did business with.
    since we are a Pawn Shop we are regulated by the State. we submit a list of everything we've bought/pawned on each Monday for the previous week. we will help customers who come in but also have to protect the Privacy of others, so they are directed to the PD in most cases.
    I have been personally involved in quite a few cases involving stolen property, most recently about a month ago. we have also had customers arrested in the store after we have alerted the PD, then kept them distracted while waiting for the Cavalry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file