Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vindicated or a story of variety success

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite thing is coins and variety hunting. My latest personal best, another top population finest known coin graded. I got the designation today for my 1939 MS66FS doubled die obverse FS 101 and its got colorful toning.

I have also recently picked a 1962 proof misplaced D half dollar, a 52 superbird quarter, and several 51-54 nickel proof varieties.

I need to figure out how to make a job out of this so I don't have to waste anymore time in my normal career.
Coins RULE!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwLzuOMpkFw

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A lovely coin. Great that it is a variety too.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Very nice.

• Options

Look at this one. Seems the same but as though the Die was polished between strikes. Note the similar 9s wth the bump and doubling. The G of God, the sharper point on the B is gone.
    This one did not grade as ddo, I sent them together. Besides the missing roughness found on the color coin, this one seems like a DDO also pcgs disagreed wth this pic

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2017 12:44PM

I was just discussing this "career opportunity" with a co-worker...sounds like you (we) need a "sponsor" to fund your (our) hobby. I wholeheartedly agree.

What are the PUP's for the "Rev of '40, DDO FS-101"?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

The B of liberty with a sharp curl/horn on lower bubble, the doubling and mound on the 1939, elongated upper left star arm, filled 3, split in G of God, reverse of 1940, splits in the R of liberty and the base of the 1 in 1939. This is what I look for

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch....hard to see, even in those great pictures.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I think circumstances require me to offer this up for sale/auction, it may show up in the BST ornin eBay soon. Taking offers top pop Only Full Step ms66fs ddo cherry picky variety

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, only FS graded so far?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff collectors: take note of this one.

What a beautiful reverse!..........not to mention the DDO

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Nice toning!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Spectacular. Congrats on a great pick!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

NIce coin, looks nicer than a 66 to me.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did good, dude! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭

Very nice Jeff there...love the toning!! Congrats on the designation!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options

@keets said:
    I know this will sound like sacrilege to some, maybe the OP, but I think it would be very hard to "make a living" in coins with Varieties, the overall market is too thin and tends to be one-way. some Varieties are easy to sell and have a wide market: they tend to be harder to find because so many hunt for them. others tend to be easier to find: they are very subtle to the average collector and anyone who wants one tends to like to find it themselves.

just looking at the two coins pictured in the TrueViews, I am unable to see the diagnostics and even with the OP telling me what they are I still don't see them. as an example, I recently had a 1943/2-P Jefferson Nickel graded and in the same-sized TrueView the crossbar of the underlying digit is clearly visible. additionally, most collectors recognize the Variety.

unless you are able to establish a list of willing buyers(possibly dealers you can wholesale to) you may end up with a lot of nice Varieties in PCGS holders, both noted and not, that you can't sell.

Excellent point, and sage advice. Appreciate this point of view

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I know this will sound like sacrilege to some, maybe the OP, but I think it would be very hard to "make a living" in coins with Varieties, the overall market is too thin and tends to be one-way. some Varieties are easy to sell and have a wide market: they tend to be harder to find because so many hunt for them. others tend to be easier to find: they are very subtle to the average collector and anyone who wants one tends to like to find it themselves.

just looking at the two coins pictured in the TrueViews, I am unable to see the diagnostics and even with the OP telling me what they are I still don't see them. as an example, I recently had a 1943/2-P Jefferson Nickel graded and in the same-sized TrueView the crossbar of the underlying digit is clearly visible. additionally, most collectors recognize the Variety.

unless you are able to establish a list of willing buyers(possibly dealers you can wholesale to) you may end up with a lot of nice Varieties in PCGS holders, both noted and not, that you can't sell.

It might be a tough way to make a living, but if you sell varieties as a by-product of your coin buys, you can add a significant amount of money to turn into new inventory.....and just keep it rolling.
    That's kind of what I do and have been doing for over 25 years.

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file