Home U.S. Coin Forum

Strickland's Lord St. Oswald-Norweb 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 10, 2017 10:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Everyone ready for the Lord St. Oswald-Norweb 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar being offered this August? This is graded PCGS MS-64 while the St. Oswald-Ostheimer specimen was graded PCGS MS-66+.

Any guesses on price?

Somehow I like calling the St. Oswald coins by the name of the original collector, William Strickland.

Here's the photo from the Stack's blog article.

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made two offers on that coin. Actually wrote the check out and handed it to the owner the first time.

It will go for more than the first offer and less than the second....much less.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2017 10:33PM

Hopefully you can get it now if you are still in the market ;)

Definitely. I've seen it happen many times.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful old coin, and one to be treasured.... Cheers, RickO

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it at CSNS. Beautiful!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Nope. And that's one reason why it will go for much less. Sometimes it's enough to take just one player out to halve the price realized

That is some pretty rarefied air.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did William Strickland's other souvenirs do at auction?

Does that meam we should all load up on stuff from Knott's Berry Farm and South of the Border?

• caddyshackcaddyshack Posts: 115 ✭✭

My best: $1.5 million (if even) hammer...

TDN, Simpson, and The Type set have what they need, who else is out there but a dealer specking like Lipton and JA? Coins that are $1 million plus have become very sluggish-as proven by the "steal" TDN just did of one of the most famous rarities that exists

• UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@caddyshack said:
    My best: $1.5 million (if even) hammer...

TDN, Simpson, and The Type set have what they need, who else is out there but a dealer specking like Lipton and JA? Coins that are $1 million plus have become very sluggish-as proven by the "steal" TDN just did of one of the most famous rarities that exists

I see that the D.L. Hansen set is missing the 1794 dollar... Maybe he's a player?
    https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/u-s-coins/famous-u-s-coins/100-greatest-u-s-coins/publishedset/151812

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• WhitWhit Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

A question for you folks who have an extraordinary appreciation for this 1794 dollar or strong feelings on conservation (or both): how would you feel if this coin were to be professionally conserved?
    Whit

Whit
    edited May 14, 2017 10:28AM

@RogerB said:
    How did William Strickland's other souvenirs do at auction?
    Does that meam we should all load up on stuff from Knott's Berry Farm and South of the Border?

His other souvenir dollar, the St. Oswald-Ostheimer specimen, sold for $4,993,750 to Laura in the 2015 Pogue auction.

His 'Head of 1795' souvenir cent, the St. Oswald-Husak-Cardinal specimen, sold for $499,375 in 2013.

For more info, see Ron Guth's 11 article series:

The Lord St. Oswald Coins – Where Are They Now?

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

And....there is now an MS64 1794$1 on the CAC pop report

Zoins -- Thanks for the link. I'm going to run to South of the Border right away and load up on souvenirs....an investment for my great-great-great grandchildren.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I paid more attention when I belonged to a coin club that met in Scotia NY in the late 1960's. I swear one of the members had a 1794 dollar on display in a exhibit at a meeting or a show? If my memory serves me it looked like it was in great shape. Could it have belonged to Dr. Kenneth Sartoris?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

edited May 14, 2017 10:29AM

@RogerB said:
    Zoins -- Thanks for the link. I'm going to run to South of the Border right away and load up on souvenirs....an investment for my great-great-great grandchildren.

@RogerB, you seem to have an issue with Strickland being a farmer. Is the issue with Strickland being farmer, like Washington and Jefferson, who he visited on his trip? Or do you have an issue with Tripp's research stating the Oswald coins were originally collected by Strickland?

Of note, Washington had about 8,000 acres of farms and Jefferson had about 5,000 acres of farms.

"....you seem to have an issue with Strickland being a farmer. "
    Huh? Nope, not at all. I was merely emphasizing that for him they were souvenirs of his visit -- that is, he was not evidently a coin collector, although as a gentleman farmer in England, he likely had a cabinet of coins, ores, medals, antiquities and such.

edited May 14, 2017 10:26AM

@RogerB said:
    Huh? Nope, not at all. I was merely emphasizing that for him they were souvenirs of his visit -- that is, he was not evidently a coin collector, although as a gentleman farmer in England, he likely had a cabinet of coins, ores, medals, antiquities and such.

What's the difference between being a coin collector and having a cabinet of coins?

He may not have been a numismatist but wouldn't putting select coins in a cabinet like that be collecting?

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2017 8:47AM

@Zoins said:

@RogerB said:

What's the difference between being a coin collector and having a cabinet of coins?

He may not have been a numismatist but wouldn't putting select coins in a cabinet like that be collecting?

I'm sitting here typing while facing Renoir's La Promenade ($15 print from the old Getty, $75 frame). I can discuss his impasto techniques and Fauve. Or was the latter Matisse? Am I a collector? Actually have two Renoir's. How much scholarship is needed?

When Steve Wynn put his elbow thru that Picasso(?) it was the act of a ______? This is rhetorical, below is not.

If the new great collections are being formed by focused accumulators, how are they different from Ned Green, other than they are better informed and more disciplined, more particular?

The owner of the Garrett '95 may not be jammin' directly with an album of Dave Akers' Greatest Hits, but his rhymes and rhythms resonate with their and our shared passions.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

"Coin collector" usually implies some sort of concentration or emphasis on coins and medals. This was unusual in Europe and very uncommon in the US until about 1840. Most collections were wide-ranging and included items from many cultural, historical, artistic and natural history subjects.

It doesn't matter what or why Strickland collected, nor his occupation. The coins that stayed together for so many years are a kind of window on what circulated at the time, and on the quality the US Mint attempted to attain.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file