Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossing guard

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. Looking for advice from folks who've crossed coins and also submitted raw to PCGS.

Let's say I'm hoping for a higher grade (of course) and the coin is an ANACS white slab. Should I crack that bad boy or should I leave as is. Experienced crossers and raw submitters please advise with your opinion.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it be.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always consider the downside risk of cracking and sending in raw. Would you be happy with the coin in a genuine holder because of an issue that you missed and that might have been acceptable back in the day? If not, then sending in for crossover might be your best bet.

I send in coins both raw and as crossovers and have a very high rate of upgrade when I send in for crossover. I also have a near 100% crossover rate. However, the coins aren't chosen randomly.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Keep anything in white ANACS as is, unless an expert you trust advises you otherwise.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    Keep anything in white ANACS as is, unless an expert you trust advises you otherwise.

I would disagree with the above in that the really desirable small white ANACS holders were produced while the ANA owned the company and not after Amos Press purchased ANACS. The ANA-ANACS holders have "Official ANA Grading" on the front label and the ANA lamp of knowledge logo on the reverse hologram. Almost all small white holders found today were after this change of ownership.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB..... Thanks Tom.... I looked at my ANACS double eagle in the small white holder, and it has the double triangle reverse... so not an original ANA ANACS..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file