Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

St. Gaudens Sculpture

VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

In Springfield, IL today seeing Lincoln sites. This is a replica of the St. Gaudens' sculpture that stands at Lincoln Park in Chicago.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Comments

• Options

This is a Victor David Brenner plaque that is one of three. The plaster cast broke after three were made.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Veep Thanks for the photos.

St. Gaudens was certainly a gifted sculptor, as was V.D. Brenner. I'd put Elizabeth Jones as a modern engraver whose talents are close but I'm not sure I'd put any other mint engraver on the same level.

Mark

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the eagle details on the chair behind him. Neat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

His sculpture in Chicago circa 1926 I think. Not popular with tourists compared to the shiny Dream Cloud AKA bean nearby.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A highly talented individual whose work has been, and will continue to be, indelibly part of our history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing ! thank you for the info

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff. His Adams Memorial (The Mystery of the Hereafter and The Peace of God that Passeth Understanding, commonly known as Grief) gives me chills.

http://www.marc-a-turner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Augustus-St-Gaudens-sculptor.jpg

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Below is a link to a thread I wrote in October about the dedication of the Standing Lincoln monument at the Saint Gaudens National Historic Site in NH-

October thread

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting - thx for posting. How big was that Lincoln plaque? It is similar (with some major differences, as in the placement of his name and dates) to the version that was made and is commonly found (but expensive).

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saint-Gaudens was the only American sculptor to have an international reputation. He was awarded the Legion of Honor (Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur) by France.

• Options

Guessing a bit here, but the plaque was maybe 14-16" tall and about 12" wide. Definitely taller than it was wide

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx
    That makes it a bit larger than the more common ones.

• Options
    PCGSPhotoPCGSPhoto Posts: 768 mod
    edited May 10, 2017 7:25PM

Here's a photo of the Robert Gould Shaw memorial in Boston by St Gaudens. I snapped this photo during the 2010 ANA Show. (looks like the saber is missing)

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't the Lincoln sitting statue in Grant Park in Chicago? Took photos of it two years ago. Is there a Lincoln park as well in Chicago? I have not seen the Lincoln standing in the OP. Love all of St. Gaudens work.

• Options

The sitting Lincoln (also by St. Gaudens I believe) resides in Grant Park. The standing Lincoln is in Lincoln Park. Interestingly, there is no Grant statue in Grant Park although there is one of him on horseback in Lincoln Park.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

There's also a different standing Lincoln statue in Lincoln Square.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    This is one of my favorite St. Gaudens sculptures.... "Victory." It is housed in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. It evokes thoughts of gold coins every time I look at it. :)

Makes me think of his Double Eagle. Really impressive.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Victory" was part of the Sherman Memorial in NYC, and was the source of the double eagle Liberty and the portrait on the Eagle, and the portrait on the Peace dollar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file