Home Metal Detecting
Options

A new hobby

Hello, AUandAG...
I read your post and it reminded me of a post I made some time ago about not getting out at age 83 much anymore.
Arthritis in my right hip is very painful when I swing the coil for too many minutes. I took up a new hobby. I started writing books.
I have two of them published with a third one at the publishers. My 4th one is about half-way finished. I never thought I could or would ever write a single book, Not to mention four of them. It's a great hobby and it has given me some pretty good returns with the number of books I have sold. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Ken, TMDH

Hello ricko.

Comments

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2017 5:00AM

What kind of books do you write?
    Sounds very interesting, and congratulations on your success.
    My other hobbies include Amateur radio, mainly a winter practice as radio waves on the lower bands propagate much better.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metaldetectinghound .... Hello Ken... howzit going?? Your career as an author seems to be going well.... how about posting some titles.....a little free publicity always helps.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hi RickO,
    The two books I have published are both on Amazon Kindle as well. The names are, "Quite A Trip" and "Quite An Adventure". My third one should be on Kindle in 2-3 months. It is named, "Quite A Journey".

Good to hear from you.
    Ken

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Do your books have a metal detecting theme?
    I recall a post that must have been yours.

• Options

PRECIOUSMENTAL

Thanks for your question. My first book has quite a bit of detecting in it. Although it's a book of fiction, all the metal detecting finds in the book, I actually found in real life.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now, I'm looking into alternative hobbies.......

Haven't thought about writing, but kids say I should....Don't really know how to start.....

Thanks for the tip,

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob... start with jotting down some ideas.... then, if one (or two) stand out... make a brief outline...just concept titles for chapters (chapters do not usually have titles, but it gives form to your thought processes)....then proceed by adding bullet points below the titles.....after that, you can see if there is enough material to justify a book.... this will not happen in fifteen minutes, or maybe not in one or two days... take your time. Best of luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Bob,...I never thought I could write either. My first book came about because of a dream I had. I heard a voice tell me the next night to write a book about that dream I had. That is what I did.

After an idea comes to mind for a book, it's amazing how thoughts become sentences, and sentences sort of automatically follow your thoughts. Soon, you have a paragraph. My brother has written six books and one thing he kept telling me was, "Keep writing Bro." ricko had some very good points in his last post. Taking your time was a great suggestion on his part.

I have found that sometimes, one word that comes to mind, will end up being a sentence. Write anything down that comes to mind. If you end up not needing it, just delete it and move on. 'Keep writing Bob'
    Ken TMDH

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good ideas Ricko and Meatald....

Will consider that for sure and might just give it a try.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com