Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Large black holder

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 4, 2017 10:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Large format holders are now being used for multi-coin holders. Interesting idea, but not sure PCGS can do this since PCGS holders have coin slots are built right into the shells.

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2017 9:37PM

Most collectors don't like these multi-holders mainly for storage purposes. They are more of gimmick than anything else. That said, sometimes they can have neat sets in them but they are far from the mainstream

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice matched set of 67's?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of reminds me of Capital Plastics holders.

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I...kinda like it.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd pay a slight premium for 3 common CC Morgan's in 2nd place plastic......seriously though, I actually love that there are no grades but obviously 3 PQ GEM+++ Beauties in there ;)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Most collectors don't like these multi-holders mainly for storage purposes. They are more of gimmick than anything else. That said, sometimes they can have neat sets in them but they are far from the mainstream

Storage of those "can" be an issue, but some of us collectors like them....for the right coins/sets at the right price.

I was trying to get all the prez bucks in them, yearly, and had to do the NGC route. No longer seems to be an option and so I have about 5 years that are now "orphaned". USMint did that to me on a few series and now, so has NGC. PCGS did a few years of them in the large holders as well, but they were harder to get, so I didn't get any so I'm not as upset with them.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Cool, but nicer with grades

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish NGC would come up with a holder size in between the regular and monster size! For example it is crazy having to put a Thaler that is just barely too big for a regular holder in their monster slab! Same goes for PCGS also!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice CC Morgans... would make a nice desk display.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I wish NGC would come up with a holder size in between the regular and monster size! For example it is crazy having to put a Thaler that is just barely too big for a regular holder in their monster slab! Same goes for PCGS also!

I agree. It often results in a lot of wasted space inside those monster slabs.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought it would be cool to see a registry set in one big holder.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group of Carson Morgans.
    Multi-coin holders are great for proof sets. They are much nicer than the common Capital Plastics screw-type holders. Imagine proof sets from the 1870s and 80s in one of those with the grade under each coin.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Those are very nice CC Morgans... would make a nice desk display.... Cheers, RickO

I'm guessing that is a photo mockup by NGC for marketing purposes. The coins are too nice to only have a description of BU. The holder number does not verify either.

Bet those holders would be popular with TV sales businesses, with 3 baggy Uncs for only $999.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2017 7:46AM

Bet those holders would be popular with TV sales businesses, with 3 baggy Uncs for only $999.

Thats exactly what they're made for. I can still hear the nasally pitch of Bill Gale selling similar in the days of ValueVision on cable.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

As said above you won't get anything near what those look like. There was a holder like that at Central States and all the coins in it were heavily bagged, not even 63s in my opinion.

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Okay so now I have to get a couple of my multicoin sets reholder.... love the NGC black holder for toned coins.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like Sweet coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file