Home Metal Detecting
Options

1797 Cent find - what would you do with it?

MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was searching in my backyard the other day when this one popped out of the ground. I am fairly new at this and this is my first old copper. It is pretty beat up so I thought it might be worth trying to clean it a bit. Any recommendations on what to do with it?
Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

DO NOT CLEAN IT!!!!!!! That is imperative.... You can rinse it under hot water to remove the dirt, but do not rub it with anything - not even your fingers. That is a great coin and you should get it appraised. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Great find! I echo what @ricko says, do not clean it except for a gentle water rinsing. Air dry or a VERY gentle pat dry with a soft cloth or paper towel. Might be worth sending it in for certification.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

The above.......

bob :):o

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

DO NOT CLEAN

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woe, nice find :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

PS
    Mind if I dig in your backyard? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, i like the looks of that.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with others. Don't do a thing to it. It has great color for a dug coin and if messed with it will probably get worse. Beautiful coin! Any other finds there?

• Options

I think I'll keep it as is and skip the cleaning. Thanks for all the input. My house is where an old farm was but there isn't much left of it. The land sold off and houses everywhere. The oldest coin before this one was a 30's cent, other finds were a bunch of old matchbox cars, a WW1 German Iron Cross and lots of bullets.I found this coin next to an old flower bed.

Jim

• Options

Is this in Maine? I ask because two of my daughters live in Maine...maybe I need to MD their yards...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Great find! Outstanding detail on that one for sure.

• Options

Yes - in Maine. There are a lot of old farms here. I would search every one if I had the chance!

Jim

• Options

@MaineJim
    May I ask which county? :smile:

• Options

I'm in southern Maine.
    Jim

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beauty! What a find! Looks like it was dropped shortly after being circulated, too. I agree with the consensus~keep it as is.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beat up? It looks fantastic. Go on to eBay and do a search for other 1797 cents to get a feel for what's out there. Yours looks so nice!!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

Southern Maine.... same area as my daughters.... must get up there with my MD..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Awesome find!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would do NOTHING with it but keep and appreciate it!

For a dug relic, that one's in IDEAL condition! The patina looks great. Nice contrast.

Fantastic find!

Again, I restate: THAT PATINA IS PERFECT. LEAVE THE COIN EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS!!!

Any tinkering with it will only make it look worse. Since the "environmental damage" on it is irreversible, just be thankful that it's actually pretty attractive, as dug patinas go.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.