Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is your ms 66 better than most ms 66+ coins of the same date in the same series ?

So should you resubmit your ms 66 ?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not unless:

1. It is time to sell your coin.

2. The price differential would be great enough to justify the cost of resubmission.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    All of my coins are indergraded by at least a point....

What would the reasoning behind that ???

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with 291fifth's idea that the coin should not be regraded until it's time to sell. Grading standards drift over time, and there's no point in regrading something when you'll likely have to regrade it again in 5-10 years, or whenever you intend to sell it.

For those that play the Registry game, different logic may apply. Getting the coin in a 67 holder potentially means moving up in the rankings. It could be worth paying resubmission costs for a higher set rating.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

@BryceM said:
    All of my coins are indergraded by at least a point....

What would the reasoning behind that ???

Ownership adds a point, eh.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    I agree with 291fifth's idea that the coin should not be regraded until it's time to sell. Grading standards drift over time, and there's no point in regrading something when you'll likely have to regrade it again in 5-10 years, or whenever you intend to sell it.

For those that play the Registry game, different logic may apply. Getting the coin in a 67 holder potentially means moving up in the rankings. It could be worth paying resubmission costs for a higher set rating.

What are the odds that it will be a 65 [or maybe even a 67] 10 years hence?

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my thinking... no guarantee it's 100% correct, but this is my humble opinion.

If grading tightens up in 10 years, and it becomes a 65, the owner will have to get it regraded. It's very likely that the holders will get a new label if grading standards shift to the conservative side. People will say "those 2017 era gradient label holders are all overgraded by a point," and coins in current holders will sell at a lower price.

If it becomes a 67, then it pays to upgrade it... and you will have to get it regraded to realize the maximum price.

If standards stay the same, and it's still a 66 in 10 years, then the current holder is fine.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 12:47PM

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    So should you resubmit your ms 66 ?

I tried that a number of times on one NGC MS66 I owned. It would never cross for me. In my mind that was the finest known of the date as PCGS has no 66's. Fast forward to 2016. The coin now resides in a PCGS MS66+ CAC holder. And I recall all the times I showed that coin to "PCGS only" dealers/collectors who said the coin was marginal and immediately dismissed it. Now it's accepted as the probable finest known/highest graded....just like it was in 1982 when I first bought it raw. Resubmitting it is one thing....getting the grade it and you deserve is quite another.

I agree not to play the resubmit game until you're inside a 1-2 year window where you are likely to sell your coins. And it could take 1-2 yrs to get some of those upgrades.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 66+ is worthy of the grade assigned. But I do own a 66 same date that will absolutely out shine all others for several different reasons in the same grade, this NGC 66 I'll put up against any 67.
    It's in an old NGC holder but I gotta believe this Buff would jump one full point. No I don't play the CAC sticker game either.
    Great question, Stew

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    caddyshackcaddyshack Posts: 115 ✭✭

Stewart, of all people you should know how the "game" of grading is played...You know gradeflation is making older 66's into 67's in some cases. we're too far in to halt it

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    This 66+ is worthy of the grade assigned. But I do own a 66 same date that will absolutely out shine all others for several different reasons in the same grade, this NGC 66 I'll put up against any 67.
    It's in an old NGC holder but I gotta believe this Buff would jump one full point. No I don't play the CAC sticker game either.
    Great question, Stew

That NGC 1913 is making me so jealous!!!! That thing is a stunner, and would rather see it in an old NGC holder than a new PCGS one. Now if I was to sell it, I would consider trying to upgrade it.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 6:23PM

I have a 1909 Lincoln Cent that is graded MS-66RB, that I would say is at least as good if not better than the two 66+ that are shown on PCGS CoinFacts. The current population of 66+ for that date and color is currently at two with none higher. Does ownership add to your perceived grade? Yes, but at least CAC thought it was solid for the grade.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

From all these discussions about gradeflation, resubmit, crossovers etc., I can see why there is no rush to establish solid standards in numismatics. Getting a firm grade per standards would affect both the TPG's and dealers.... this movement means cash flow and profit.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file