Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice example of a common Seated 25c (Newp)

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1891-S Seated quarter is on its way to me from Mike Printz at Harlan J. Berk. The 1891-s is a common date in the Seated Quarter series, with a whopping 160 pieces graded Mint State by PCGS, according to the current Population Report. While that statistic qualifies the 1891-S quarter as a common date in the series, it starts to look a bit better when one considers the 8,210 examples of the 1891-S Morgan Dollar graded Mint State by PCGS. Yes, I know, Morgan Dollars are also more popular with collectors; there's no need to trash the poor, unloved Seated coins, now. :)

I hesitate to purchase Seated coins that are bright white if they are common dates. They are expensive, and I find them a bit boring for the amount of money involved. This coin has some personality, with somewhat unusual toning. Perhaps it sat face-up in a coin cabinet for many years? Or perhaps it sat face up in the coin doctor's chemical chamber for a few minutes? :o I sincerely doubt the latter, and so did PCGS, so it now resides in my set. All funnies aside, it looks awfully nice for an MS63 Seated coin, and I was really happy to add it to my Seated 25c. Photos are Mike's work; you know they're not mine if you've seen any of my past photographic butchery.

Most of my Seated 25c has been photographed and posted in the Open Registry on Gerry Fortin's site, so if you would like to see my work in progress, feel free to browse through the set at the link below.

seateddimevarieties.com/openregistry/collection.php?name=Ronald%20C%20Hedden&set=31

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

Rhedden, I agree with you. I've got only two Seated quarters and one of them could be considered common, with 257 graded at PCGS in uncirculated if I counted correctly. But it too has pretty toning and I quite like it.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins with character...gotta love it!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now those are the opposite of modern crap. Just saying. Nice examples.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread dropped off too quickly - so I will post another 1891 I used to own (P mint), that
    went to a forum member for his type set. While I still owned it, I had a chance to acquire another nicely toned 91S, but since I had the two posted here, I made a lowball offer that wasn't accepted and moved on. I also recall when I bought that first one back in the 80's, I was torn between two different examples that both had colorful toning.
    As these apparently appear with some frequency, they either were saved at the time of issue as the last year produced (although I don't see 1891 dimes or halves), or a quantity wasn't released and turned up years later - either way, I have never heard of a hoard of 1891 P or S mint quarters coming on the market.

photo Coins4-9-11033.jpg

photo Coins4-9-11036.jpg

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Very nice, I like it - hope you don't mind if I post mine also on your thread -
    Cracked from an old ANACS MS60 slab and put in my 7070 album back in the late '80's -
    the little white and green sticker from the slab is still in the album. Photo by Todd - I couldn't do the coin justice:

photo MBP7K0722001024x678_zps94c233df.jpg

photo MBP7K0721991024x678_zps250808dd.jpg

love the quarter. thats very neat looking :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file