Home U.S. Coin Forum

18?? Morgan Dollar with date obscurred

Please help identify this odd 'drill hole' found on an 1800's Morgan Silver Dollar? What was the intended purpose? Thank you again for your help!

Comments

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pattyanderson said:
    Please help identify this odd 'drill hole' found on an 1800's Morgan Silver Dollar? What was the intended purpose? Thank you again for your help!

The intended purpose? To make a collector ponder why and what date. :smiley:

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    The intended purpose? To make a collector ponder why and what date. :smiley:

It worked!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭

I think I can narrow it down for you- I think it's probably before 1900.

A check of what hub type it is could narrow it down some more. The dates were all punched slightly differently into each die (except 1921)- that could give you an answer (but that's a long shot).

image"Darkside" gold
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe that was the old coin trick with a string attached. Put it in the machine fish it back out :)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

1889-O VAM 2A. The person that drilled it did so to cause there to be a hole in the coin, then changed their mind, because they didn't want a hole in the coin.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    1889-O VAM 2A. The person that drilled it did so to cause there to be a hole in the coin, then changed their mind, because they didn't want a hole in the coin.

Damn. Beat me to it by 5mins JB lol. Shame too. At least it's not high grade.

The more you VAM..
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 'drill' mark seems, to me, to be intentional...as if they only wanted the 18 to remain....or maybe I am just reading too much into it and it was going to be drilled .... ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file