Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP, and GTG: 1883 3CN....(Grade revealed last post)

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2017 5:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I sat and watched this in a Dealer's Inventory for a couple of weeks. That's my usual way of saving money: Wait long enough, and someone else will buy it. :)

But I finally had to ask myself, "How serious am I REALLY about actually finishing this set?" I started a circulation strike set of 3C Nickels back in 2000, because it was "different", is a fairly short set, and with an interesting quirky design and history. I just decided to give it a shot. Obviously, I was mentally blocking the run of truly tough dates in the middle of the series. :blush:

Anyway, I finally decided that it might be a LONG wait to find a rather nice looking, affordable, mid-circulated grade of this date. The circulation strike mintage is only 4,000, and total graded by PCGS in ALL grades is 139....NGC is 52. It's one thing to say, "I want a nice circulated one", it's quite another to actually FIND one. So, I pulled the trigger.

I'm guessing this may be the first 3CN you graded today...and the last time you did grade one, it was probably not in a circulated grade. Not that I don't have faith in all of you...but I'm predicting a wide variation of guesses. :)

What say ye?

(Just realized how blurry the reverse image is....I'm photographically challenged. Sorry about that.)

Below is an accounting of the status of my set, (masked to avoid giving away the 1883 grade). Only 5 (fairly to really tough) coins to go!

Part of the quirky fun is the range of holders involved. There are 3 NGC "no-line fatties", and PCGS holders from Gen 2.2, through 6.0.

You'll note my MS-62 to 63 preferred grade...but one has to compromise when price is considered! Some of the old holders might upgrade, but I'm not sure I'll go that route. (I was wrong about the ICG I crossed over...it crossed at MS-63, rather than getting the upgrade I thought it deserved).

My collecting hiatus shows up as a gap in acquisition between 2005 and 2014. Got married, bought an "adult" house....guess it was worth it. :)

In a perfect world, I would be able to put them all into ONE registry set. But as is, I'm #8 on NGC, (aided by grandfathered PCGS coins), and #12 on PCGS.

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vf30? That is a very low mintage and you were lucky to find it!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

35, shot 40 if grader had a good night.
    I've always enjoyed these coins and years ago considered doing the same thing you're doing.
    Cool coin, really scarce.
    Can you imagine what these would go for if they were as widely collected as Lincoln Cents or Morgans?
    It'd never happen because supply is too low on many dates.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2017 11:44PM

Nice, I have a XF40 version of this coin. I would guess VF35.

Editing to move my guess to maybe VF30.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Now look at all the money you'll be saving
    (until you start a new set)

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at XF40 on it. Just on a gut feeling, I know nothing of the series.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF30-35 .... Nice set you have going.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

The PCGS and CAC concurred grade is:

The guesses were more tightly packed than I expected for a series most don't pay attention to. (Though there were fewer guesses than I expected...probably for the same reason). ;)

• Options

Nice coin. You don't see this date very often.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a proof IMHO and I'm an expert on this series. ;) just kidding!
    I had a go at this series a few years back and it's tougher than nails in non proof grades (sold what I had), do you have the '84 and '85 already?
    If you do I salute you my friend!

• Options

@Raybo said:
    It's a proof IMHO and I'm an expert on this series. ;) just kidding!
    I had a go at this series a few years back and it's tougher than nails in non proof grades (sold what I had), do you have the '84 and '85 already?
    If you do I salute you my friend!

You are correct on the "Proof Issue". Certainly one thing I fear is buying a circulated coin, only have it called a (much more available) proof somewhere down the road. I figure I'm covered with PCGS and CAC having their say. (The flatness in the lower area of the hair tells me "Circulation Strike"....but I wouldn't go solo on that.) :)

Don't have the '84 or '85 yet. Slowly, but surely.....

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 cent CN is not a top series and that's why I like it. I don't get it, it's not a bad looking coin, in fact I think it's quite attractive!
    That's why I went with 2 cent pieces, everyone loves them! :#

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked them too, and think it's a nice-looking coin, especially the portrait.
    Kind of a cross between the IHC and $20 Lib., about 75% leaning toward the IHC.
    The OP's coin is very nice, evenly circulated and closer to a 40 to my eyes, but it doesn't really matter much--that's a tough date.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin... and as I thought... though I still think it is close to a 35.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I looked at the pop reports and the number of these 1883s have jumped up in the last 10 years. 2008 shows my pop one XF40 with nothing poorer; only 38 total in all grades. Now there are 139 total in all grades and 10 XF40s.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2017 9:34AM

@Batman23 said:
    I looked at the pop reports and the number of these 1883s have jumped up in the last 10 years. 2008 shows my pop one XF40 with nothing poorer; only 38 total in all grades. Now there are 139 total in all grades and 10 XF40s.

That's interesting. Guess it took awhile for all of those lower graded coins to get submitted. Do you happen to have handy what a VF/XF coin went for back then? Can't imagine it was TOO much cheaper than now....

Added: (Answering my own question)

Using the PCGS price guide as our indicator, (your mileage may vary), I get this:

VF-30:
    2008: $330
    2017: $525

XF-40:
    2008: $390
    2017: $675

Seems like those values might have tripped the "should certify" flag even in 2008....even without the "genuine" or "PF vs. MS" questions.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess was VF25, so not too far off. :)
    Very nice choice!

• Options

Looking back at what I have on these:
    July 07 XF45 was lowest graded with 3. There were 31 total in all grades.
    Apr 08 XF40 was lowest graded with 1. There were 38 total in all grades.
    Price guide for both dates above show what you have... VF30=$330 XF40=$390 AU55=$430

I do note that in Nov 2012, the XF40 had a pop of 7 and a value of $650 per PCGS guide.

May 17 price guide shows VF30=$525 XF40=$675 AU55=$1,100
    May 17 populations are F=4, VF=14, XF40=10, XF45=23 and a total of 139 in all grades.

It would be fun to come back to this thread in 10 years and see where these numbers are at.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly thought it would be higher than 30 :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    Looking back at what I have on these:
    July 07 XF45 was lowest graded with 3. There were 31 total in all grades.
    Apr 08 XF40 was lowest graded with 1. There were 38 total in all grades.
    Price guide for both dates above show what you have... VF30=$330 XF40=$390 AU55=$430

I do note that in Nov 2012, the XF40 had a pop of 7 and a value of $650 per PCGS guide.

May 17 price guide shows VF30=$525 XF40=$675 AU55=$1,100
    May 17 populations are F=4, VF=14, XF40=10, XF45=23 and a total of 139 in all grades.

It would be fun to come back to this thread in 10 years and see where these numbers are at.

It may not be ten years, but five years is half way there. Quite a few of these 3CNs are finding their way into the grading room. The total PCGS population has gone from 139 to 193 in five years.

Oct 2022 price guide shows VF30=$700 XF40=$850 AU55=$1,250
    Oct 2022 populations are F=6, VF=19, XF40=18, XF45=33, AU=58, MS=59 with a total of 193 in all grades.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, congrats on acquiring it! Trickels are a short series but there are some difficult coins to find in it, and this is one of them.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file