Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade this 1913 buffalo nickel

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1913 type one buffalo nickel that is slabbed. Try grading it from the pictures that are pretty good.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

mS63

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    sjcoinssjcoins Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

58+

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU-58

• Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

MS - 60

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

• Options

Are you ready for this??? This is A PCGS MS66!!!!! for sale right now on da flea (flea bay)
    good grief!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Here is the description of the coin as provided by the seller.

================================================================================================This 1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickel grades Superb Gem BU MS-66... it is graded, holdered, authenticated, and guaranteed by PCGS! A very nice coin with tons of flash and luster! There are no noted marks or hits of any kind! This coin has tons of eye appeal with great surfaces! A very beautiful coin! It is original with some light golden toning, and a strong strike. Just a high end Gem Coin in every way! This coin would make a welcome addition to a high grade set. I have included a greatly enlarged high resolution digital photo for you to evaluate for yourself. The coin pictured is the exact coin you will receive, I never use stock photos. So take your time, view the scan or photo, and buy with confidence.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

I am not trying to criticize pcgs or the seller. Just presenting the coin along with its description for all to see.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmmm.....I'm out.

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

• Options

When you are the owner of a coin you tend to be overly flattering to it as seems to be the case here.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@Rosco said:
    Hmmmmmm.....I'm out.

So am I on this one.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

When just grading the reverse in the best case I think you could argue an ms65. It appears to be a mid die state coin but there are no bad marks or hits or ugly spots but the lustre seems subdued. But the obverse with all the toning spots or whatever else you might call them would IMO be an MS63. Since the lower graded side always wins this is an ms63 to me.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would need to see the coin in the holder before making any comments about grade.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spotted to death. No way a 66. My thoughts are that the coin was submitted sans spotting and the spots grew after grading due to storage in an improper atmosphere.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2017 9:02AM

Very free of marks. I'd have figured MS65 due to luster being subdued and spotting. Worst grade might be a MS64. Can't say I'm surprised at the MS66 grade either. I'd say it's closer to MS66 than it is to MS64.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS: below average

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@roadrunner said:
    Very free of marks. I'd have figured MS65 due to luster being subdued and spotting. Worst grade might be a MS64. Can't say I'm surprised at the MS66 grade either. I'd say it's closer to MS66 than it is to MS64.

Would you buy it at 5 money...or even 4 money with all those spots?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2017 9:39AM

@telephoto1 said:

@roadrunner said:

Would you buy it at 5 money...or even 4 money with all those spots?

64 money no problem. In 65 money it would have to be a PCGS coin. But, I'd certainly buy it if I like the luster, strike, color, and overall look of the coin. The spots appear rather tiny and scattered. I've never been a "spot hater." In looking for originally toned gem seated coins, carbon spots usually come with the territory. They are nearly unavoidable on original choice/gem "O" mint seated quarters. If there aren't some "spots" somewhere, you might want to consider if anything was done to the coin.

With this coin graded PCGS MS66. I'd probably be a very interested, potential buyer at MS65 money. That goes for most original gem type PCGS. I'm happy to consider buying them a point lower than graded..... :'(

• Options

No matter what the holder says..........you still have to look at the coin. I wouldn't pay 66 money for it. It seems to not even be an extremely well-struck specimen, with later die state erosion on the reverse. The center obverse seems a tad weak also.

To each their own.
    Pass

Pete

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    No matter what the holder says..........you still have to look at the coin. I wouldn't pay 66 money for it. It seems to not even be an extremely well-struck specimen, with later die state erosion on the reverse. The center obverse seems a tad weak also.

To each their own.
    Pass

Pete

Thank you. I think the grade on the label is adding a rosy tint to the glasses of some viewers here. Plus it's a common date that's easily found problem free at a reasonable price.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a buffalo nickel that was imaged poorly. It looks hammered and I'm sure it has booming luster. You guys can not grade any coin from pictures. The guy imaged it improperly thus looks bad. I'm sure it looks much better in hand.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:

@Rosco said:
    Hmmmmmm.....I'm out.

So am I on this one.

I as well_

• Options

OH I KNOW you can't grade a coin by just the pictures..........BUT..........we are asked to grade them. I always say that I want the coin in hand for a better opinion.

But you know...........you gotta dance with who brung ya.

Pete

• Options

For a coin to be ms65 it has to reach out and grab you. Not repulse you like this one seems to do. And ms66? Not a chance.
    I have seen so many ms64’s and ms65’s from both pcgs and ngc (and others) that blow this one away.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭

A 66 is a pretty bad a $ $ coin, this is not.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    I see a buffalo nickel that was imaged poorly. It looks hammered and I'm sure it has booming luster. You guys can not grade any coin from pictures. The guy imaged it improperly thus looks bad. I'm sure it looks much better in hand.

Poorly imaged or not, the spots are obvious. That kills this coin at 66 imo...which is why I posited earlier that perhaps this coin became spotted post-grading.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Poorly imaged or not, the spots are obvious. That kills this coin at 66 imo...which is why I posited earlier that perhaps this coin became spotted post-grading.

heartly agree with telephoto here. The irregular spots are a killer. ms66 is a great grade to go after for 1 1913 type one buff. I own one that is slabbed by ngc, a later die state coin but is absolutely gorgeous because of the intense satin mint lustre and complete lack of marks and spots. They say you cannot put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig. Same with this coin. Not matter what type of plastic surrounds it, and what the grade says, you cannot hide those random unattractive spots.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have PCGS MS66 Buffs.... and they are much better than the OP coin.... OK, maybe the picture is not the best... however, that is all I have to judge.... that coin is nowhere near a 66...... I would buy a buffalo chip before that coin..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I dont get the point of this thread. "Try grading it"

Ok? why don't you submit it yourself"?

You think I want to read 100;s of "Grade my coin" threads after I click on your page. I don't, most people don't. If we gave a crap about your shit coin, post the grade it in the title so we dont read your shit desc later.

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:

To each their own.
    Pass

Pete

Always buy the coin! Never the Grade!

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even choice uncirculated to my eyes.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@Smokeyjoe said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

To each their own.
    Pass

Pete

Always buy the coin! Never the Grade!

I never looked at the coin to begin with. I just new it was crap. I don't know why people are made at me, I'm trying to help him........ Wow im getting hate

• Options

BuffXX is never going to submit the coin , so stop pretending like he would have. its a shit coin, everyone knows it, I might have save him a few bucks.

• Options

@ghigh said:
    "BuffXX is never going to submit the coin , so stop pretending like he would have. its a shit coin, everyone knows it, I might have save him a few bucks."

I do not own the coin. It is for sale on the flea ( eBay ) right now. and has been there for a long long time. “around and around and around it goes, where it stops, nobody knows!"

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spots do not take away from the grade. I am not a fan of spots, agreed but It's a poorly done image. We could go round and round to grade this picture but I'm sure this Buff must look better in hand as there's no light on this coin to speak of.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Still waiting on the seller offering this to me for MS65 bid.

• Options

@roadrunner said:

roadrunner -- are you saying you have contacted the eBay seller offering him ms65 money for this coin?

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe (Crazyhounddog) has looked at a lot of buffalos and I tend to agree with him here. I sold my Buffalo set a few years ago but have always enjoyed the series (still have my proofs). I agree with Joe and RR on the carbon spots -- originality and spots have a relationship when you look at buffalos and it is something you learn about from looking at a lot of "processed" buffs that are spot-free. If spots get to the point of being distracting, then maybe you pass but in general minor carbon spots should not be immediately seen as a detriment.
    Luster is still the defining characteristic for grading buffalos and my guess from photos is that this coin has strong luster. Strike is soft in places but that is not uncommon for a Philadelphia 13 Type 1. I could see this coin in 64 or 65, 66 maybe not. It's a $75-100 coin so probably not worth getting worked up about a point here or there.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

Yuck, and no thanks even at MS63 money. My reasoning: One day I might sell that coin, and when I and it fetches MS65 money, there's a good chance the buyer will return the coin or else be unhappy and associate my name with the bad experience. Don't need that kind of headache these days.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Joe and RR. But going by pic only I do not like the coin. It is too common to settle for something like this.

Just my 10 cents. :)

• Options

Being such a common buff if you are looking for an ms66 for your set, which is a nice grade to go after, you would avoid this spotted piece like the plague. I like the grade ms66 as many times its hard to tell from ms67 which can be triple an ms66.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Buff's are so hard for me to grade.

I was guessing MS64.

Do spots affect TPG grades?

I'd like to know the answer.

One obvious spot kills any coin for me.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU acid treated.

signed,

Insider2

:)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    edited May 5, 2017 5:30AM

@BUFFNIXX said:

@roadrunner said:

roadrunner -- are you saying you have contacted the eBay seller offering him ms65 money for this coin?

No. But, if they're reading this thread. They are free to PM me for an MS65 offer/price. I'm not holding my breath...lol. If every US slabbed coin that had a spot, technical rub, mottled toning, dipped, or other such "issue" were not considered worthy any more.....it would be an awfully small market to play in.

• Options

@unclebob said:
    Buff's are so hard for me to grade.

I was guessing MS64.

Do spots affect TPG grades?

I'd like to know the answer.

One obvious spot kills any coin for me.

In most cases spots do seem to affect the TPG grade. In this case I think one of the graders or the finalizer perhaps may have sneezed on the coin thus causing it to spot-up later after it was sealed in the slab. (Only kidding of course!)

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@ghigh said:
    I dont get the point of this thread. "Try grading it"

Ok? why don't you submit it yourself"?

You think I want to read 100;s of "Grade my coin" threads after I click on your page. I don't, most people don't. If we gave a crap about your shit coin, post the grade it in the title so we dont read your shit desc later.

Why is this poster getting upset. If you go into a thread and don’t like what you read, just simply back out and go onto something else that you may like! Good grief!! No reason to throw a hissy-fit.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

and after the above quoted post @ghigh goes on.....

"I never looked at the coin to begin with. I just new it was crap. I don't know why people are made at me, I'm trying to help him........ Wow im getting hate” ...... and on .......

"BuffXX is never going to submit the coin , so stop pretending like he would have. its a shit coin, everyone knows it, I might have save him a few bucks.”

somewhat rambling and incoherent!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

The coin was no doubt a lot better when it was submitted. Whoever had it encapsulated probably did something to it just prior to submission. It then took a turn (for the worst).

Just my humble opinion.

Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file