Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC White Gen 2.0

Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see your NGC 2.0 white slabs and coins. If there is a census forum please tag me.

Comments

• hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 23 Peace is a beauty! Those other two are no slouches themselves.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those NGC gen 2.0s are cool. I don't own one......yet.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 2:41PM

The 2.1 generation is actually more scarce (gold embossing inside the capsule). Never understood why this earlier version is counter-intuitively numbered higher. Hijacker's 1913 T1 Buffalo is actually NGC 3, with the bordered label and scales in background.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gen 2.1 are harder to find.... Wait Coindeuce beat me to it

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Shadow is the difference...

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe, these two are samples ver. 1.4 & 2.1 and are different from non-sample versions. please correct me if i'm wrong.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1923 Peace dollar would have to go Gold CAC!

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree Wabbit. Felt the same when I owned it,. It is in better hands now . . . and surely might Gold.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER If you would allow me to bum a ride to CAC on one of your submissions, it would be more than appreciated!

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    @DRUNNER If you would allow me to bum a ride to CAC on one of your submissions, it would be more than appreciated!

Only problem with that plan.......that coin is so nice that any other coin in the same submission is going to be overlooked. Your coin would steal the gold from the other members of the family.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought about just a PM for CoinDeuce, but in retrospect, perhaps a public post . .

Understanding that the following is a compilation of discussions with the NGC Principals at the time, several of whom have remembrances that contradict one another, as well as collectors of the era, and esteemed Plastocologists here on the Boards . . . . . . .

The NGC Black premiered NGC's answer to the PCGS holder. It was a high quality effort, headlined by the marketing plan to put the obverse of the coin on the side with the NGC logo. The reverse got the grade-side of the insert and of course as time has shown, was disliked by the collecting community. Secondly, although silver and gold coins displayed well in the dark holder, copper tended to 'disappear'. It may (my thoughts, NOT supported by others) be why fewer copper coins remain in Blacks than might be expected given the population and slabbing desires of the times.

The NGC response was to convert to the white gasket. The insert remained ostensibly the same as the NGC Black, and the initial holders were produced with the hotstamped logo on the inside of the shell (2.1). Technical problems and smearing of the logo from the very outset led to a very substandard acceptance rate of the shells, to a point where the hotstamp was almost immediately placed on the outside of the shell (2.0). *****The REASON for the numbering being out of sequence was due to the discovery of the VERY rare 2.1 being located AFTER Conder 101 performed his initial numbering and cataloguing sequence. Simply put . . .the 2.1 is so rare that although it was produced BEFORE the 2.0, it was not discovered (due to its rarity) until well after the sequential system had been enumerated.***** The 'shadow' test is accurate, as long as the lighting reveals the shadow. Some purchasers have bout 2.0s with direct lighting that does not show the shadow . . and paid more thinking they had a 2.1. The only true 'tell' is examining the hotstamp to make sure it is on the inside or outside. Most lighting will reveal this . . . . . but not all.

So, the ramifications?

Both the NGC Whites are superbly collectible holders with very small surviving populations. They DO have more than the Blacks or Regencies, but substantially fewer exist than the Doilies. There is a Census for each here on the Boards, as well as for the NGC Blacks (astrorat). Values are typically all over the place, but in general, the 2.1 brings a slightly (10%-20%) higher premium, although it probably should be a lot more, given the slabbing rate at the time and the slabbing duration. Remember . . . they were so rare at the time of Conder101s work that they were not even known.

Peace_dollar88 got a nice 1923 . . . I probably should have sent in in to the BeanMill, but as in most of my rarer holders, it just doesn't make that much difference as the holder is the draw anyway. It was a nice coin . . . and it is rewarding to see the good comments on it here. I am glad it is in his hands . . . he is doing a very unique collecting goal.

Have fun with your plastic!

Drunner

Check out this persons collection of 2.1 slabs! SWEET!

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=11715

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2017 6:09PM

Currently none.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Currently my only one:
    The no bar code label with tan border and scales on front and rectangular foil hologram on back is the later version of NGC 4. The early NGC 4 had the pale green label of same style.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:

@AUandAG said:
    Currently my only one:
    The no bar code label with tan border and scales on front and rectangular foil hologram on back is the later version of NGC 4. The early NGC 4 had the pale green label of same style.

Yeah, I knew that too. Just brain dead this evening....argh

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Check out this persons collection of 2.1 slabs! SWEET!

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=11715

Wow that is am unbelievable set of old white holders! Hope I can find a 2.1 with a peace dollar.

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

aren’t these referred to as fatties?

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never owned one...............yet.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

What version would this one be?
    Thanks,
    Cyndie

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drunner beat me to the explanation of the NGC 2.1.

He explained it very well.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 3:57AM

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/6n/xx1iz6viy2l5.jpg

That is the last generation of the NGC fatties.

Note there is no cut line left to right near the center of the slab and also note that this NGC slab is thicker than the non-fatty NGC slab

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/6n/xx1iz6viy2l5.jpg

That is the last generation of the NGC fatties.

Note there is no cut line left to right near the center of the slab and also note that this NGC slab is thicker than the non-fatty NGC slab

Interesting! Thanks @oreville

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file