Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA 2000 Summer Seminar Peace Token (Gold)

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 20, 2020 5:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone know the meaning/significance of "CC" on the reverse of the 2000 ANA Summer Conference Peace token (to the right) in this photo?

This photo is from Verne's GMMNut website:

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 2:30AM

"Colorado College" perhaps ?
    That is where the Summer Seminar classrooms are, in the vicinity of the ANA Museum.
    It may also be the location where the piece was struck.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 11:40AM

CC is Colorado College, which surrounds ANA HQ in Colorado Springs.

I own the Owl pictured on the left, Verne won high bid on the Mercury on the right.

My Gold Owl is one of 4 struck, 3 of which were donated to ANA by the donor of the 2 ounces of melted at the 1999 Summer Seminar 1 ounce American Gold Eagles.
    Each Owl weighed approximately 1/2 ounce gold.

Verne and I bid on and bought these from the ANA gold donor via ebay auction years ago.

Lindy

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... and special pieces as well... I like the Peace token better than the Gold Merc issued by the mint... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited April 25, 2017 8:32AM

Great info @LindyS and @dcarr!

For a moment, I was wondering if these were struck on the Carson City coining press #1. It didn't seem likely but was definitely on my mind to figure out.

I love reading the Verne's Ron Landis Scrapbook and miss his writings.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 11:36AM

Verne was a great numismatist !!!

I enjoyed our chats & shopping with him & bidding against him on out of the ordinary Landis and Rust Treasures at ebay.
    I really enjoyed Verne's Gallery Mint Scrapbook website, which still for the most part exists when I looked awhile back.

I recall Verne was eager to buy my Gold Owl that he wanted to win high bid on. As I told him back then, I liked the Gold Owl basically because 1999 date is displayed in Roman numerals. In less than 15 minutes I gave him no competition on his desired Gold Mercury purchase so it sold at opening bid.
    That was back when you could see ID's of other ebay bidders & instantly communicate with the other ebay bidders.

Lindy

Also,

Read about these two Gold ANA Seminar tokens on page 76 from the Scrapbook:

http://www.gmmnut.com/gmm/gmm76.html

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never met Verne in person, but we corresponded several times. When they decided to let go of their old family car, Verne was thoughtful enough to offer it to me, and I ended up purchasing it remotely having only seen pictures of it. I had it transported here. Since then I did some mechanical repairs and a few cosmetic improvements. I still drive it from time to time.

1977 Pontiac Catalina Safari Wagon, 400 Pontiac V8:
    designscomputed.com/cars/red_ryder.htm

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    I never met Verne in person, but we corresponded several times. When they decided to let go of their old family car, Verne was thoughtful enough to offer it to me, and I ended up purchasing it remotely having only seen pictures of it. I had it transported here. Since then I did some mechanical repairs and a few cosmetic improvements. I still drive it from time to time.

1977 Pontiac Catalina Safari Wagon, 400 Pontiac V8:
    designscomputed.com/cars/red_ryder.htm

Because of my bad leg I cannot drive any new car made today. If my 2008 gunboat ever dies I may go looking for a classic behemoth from this era.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    "Colorado College" perhaps ?
    That is where the Summer Seminar classrooms are, in the vicinity of the ANA Museum.
    It may also be the location where the piece was struck.

Yes. Colorado College is in fact the ANA's landlord. They pay $1 a year in rent. There is the remains of a crisp pack of 100 $1 silver certificates in the ANA's vault, and every year the Executive Director takes the next bill off the stack and walks it over to the College President's office and formally presents it. The President then goes and puts it on the stack in the college's vault.

At least that is what Ed Rochette told me many years ago when he did it. The procedure may have changed.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2017 10:55PM

Nice car and history Dan. All the information I have on Verne is through mutual friends. He sounds like a great person and someone that would have been great to know. I love his passion for the Gallery Mint.

The reason this thread came up is that I recently picked up two mated full brockage pairs of the Mercury piece and noticed the CC on close examination.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file