Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

George I 1723 Crown grade back from our Host

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 24, 2017 5:45PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/83964689_62979981_2200.jpg

Hopefully the PCGS image in connection with my recent submission is attached. The coin is a 1723 Crown and the image is good but this is a difficult coin to capture and perhaps even more of a challenge to grade. I recall several George I shillings and coppers have been posted in the past, but I am unable to recall whether an image of a crown has been posted before. So feel free to comment... share your thoughts.. and even offer a grade.

George I Crowns are not an easy find in a desirable state of preservation. PCGS has currently graded 29 for the series. And as for the most available date which is the 1723, PCGS has graded 5 as AU55 and even fewer as MS. This series is plagued by flecking, haymarking and adjustment marks. All of these production issues were standard and extended from the reign of Charles II to George II. So the challenge is to find an acceptable planchet with minimal issues which is easier said than done. We can then factor in that no mintage records were kept or survived over the years. One can only speculate as to the surviving population.

This example has a darker tone the can best be described as a gun medal grey with crisp details that evidence cabinet friction. The rims and fields ar above average with minimal imperfections other than adjustment marks.. Grading obviously has a subjective component. Distractions such as adjustment marks or a deeper tone can negatively impact the very nature of grading. So the real questions and purpose of sharing the image and my commentary are three fold:

1. Appreciate the characteristics of coins within a series and understand the pitfalls associated with what influences the subjective nature of grading;

2. Having standards for grading is terrific, however, those standards have to be realistic and based what exists and available; and

3. Grading is an opinion and opinions can change whereas the coin remains constant unless it has been enhanced. Reasonable minds can have a different opinion without being wrong but some opinions carry more weight than others. My point here is finding the right coin is under estimated.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments