Home Precious Metals

Since 2011...

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

...the NAZ is up over 100% and approaching 6,000 while gold is down about 25%.

Smoe would say the NAZ is up only 15% since 2000 and gold is up nearly 500%.

Others would counter with gold being up 650% since American's were allowed to legally own the precious metal. The NAZ rose 8500% in that time.

What would you say?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2017 1:12PM

I'd say the NAZ is in a bubble and gold is not. What matters is what gold does in the future. Your numbers show that gold price adjusts to the bubbles. How big the equity bubble can become remains to be seen. However, it always pops. Which do you want to be holding when it does?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your asking this question in a PM Forum? :D I would venture to guess, that the answers received here, would be similar to those of derryb's post. Anywhere else...well, you'd be in a different ball game.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say buy all kinds of different stuff - commodities, futures, options, stocks, real estate, rental properties, guns and butter, coins, precious metals, bonds, mutual funds, food, clothing, cars, entertainment...................... ;) Why limit yourself to just one thing?

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

I'd rather be be holding out of the money puts in size... million times better than gold...

This is all speculation though, on an ill conceived vision of db, of course...

keceph `anah
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

In a capitalistic economy, equities are a long term investment, metals are a hedge.

Companies produce goods and services, gold supplies the "precious" that people like to cuddle with.
    Don't get me wrong, I like to cuddle with some myself, but she's a cold hard woman.

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Diversification and asset allocation are the proven key to long term capital appreciation.
    Never put all your eggs in one basket.
    Simple.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

That's some bad advice 67, but status quo...

keceph `anah
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Naz is an easy example as that is where the action has been. Go back to the early 70's and use the Dow 30 components at that time. I suspect that the results will be much more subdued.