Home Metal Detecting
Options

First time out with my new toy

tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time out with my Galaxy 2000, my $79.99 (at COSTCO) gift to me, at the local middle school football/soccer field. Spent about 40 minutes until it started to get dark and a strange car with heavily tinted windows pulled up behind my car with my wife sitting inside. Ground was hard as a rock and all I had was a small rigid plastic garden spade (note to self, buy a metal spade). The detector also came with a pin-pointer that worked great in hole number 3, first a cent appeared, then the other three coins in a small pile. One edge on both of the copper coated cents looked like they may have gotten hit by a lawn mower before they got buried. Here’s a list of the loot.

Ring from a aluminum pop-top - hole # 1
1970 bronze cent - hole 2 or 3
1979 bronze cent - hole 2 or 3
1994 D copper coated zinc cent - hole 3
1998 copper coated zinc cent - hole 3
2006 P clad dime (woo hoo) - hole 3

I think I’m hooked.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a start. I hope that you are not digging holes on the field especially if the ground is hard. That's a sure way to get everyone kicked out of detecting there. Try a screwdriver.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be like the golfer and put the plugs back in, no holes left!

Sounds like fun and you're off to a great start! Try a sandy playground next and see how that goes!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

As long as you fill your holes back you are good to go! Nice finds for starters!

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice beginning.... plug those holes (you likely did)... just a reminder.... not good about the 'company' pulling up... you were right to leave... I do not trust those types... too many experiences... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went bout again today and found a ring from a old aluminum pop top, three hunks of crumpled aluminum (from shredded cans?) and..... da da ! 7/8 of a 1996 cent. These zinc cents must be getting hit by the mower.

By the way it's a Discovery 2200 not a Galaxy 2000, my bad

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide