Home Precious Metals
Options

Pictorial of gold nuggets found by me in Indiana creeks.

Enjoy the photos. The last nugget pictured is then imaged sitting on the head of the eagle on a Barber quarter reverse for size comparison. The final image is a group shot (the largest nugget is not individually imaged because it does not fit into the same frames as the others. It is the largest by far, weighing just over 1/2 a gram.)

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool

• Options

Indiana ebay?

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was your method of retrieval?

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Nice, I really like the look of nuggets. How long did it take to find them?

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

Some were recovered using a 2" Proline suction dredge, and some were found using a 4" Proline with air. All the gold was found in bedrock crevices no more than 3 feet below the water line. The 2" nozzle is best for that, but having air (diving) abilities made it much more enjoyable....easier to lay flat on your stomach and see what you are working rather than long arming the nozzle from above.

• Options

@tyler267 said:
    Nice, I really like the look of nuggets. How long did it take to find them?

That final pic around the dime....that's about 30-33 nuggets which represents probably close to 15-20 trips down to the creeks.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice nuggets.... a bit of work... Had a friend that used to do that in Northern California.... He lived in gold country and had a pickle jar (not the very large one) filled with nuggets... the largest being a small hen's egg size.... was awesome. This was back in the mid 70's.... lost track of him, so no idea what he did with it all...
    Just a matter of time until you find a big one - or two....Best of luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That must be a great creek :smile: `

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty nuggets and great photography, Gecko! It must have been quite a thrill to pick each of those.

Did get any dust?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Lots of "dust" and pepper flake sized pieces.

• Options

Any idea of the source of the gold?.... Usually upstream...maybe some hills around there? Alluvial gold comes from somewhere..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool fiinds, glaciated gold?

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! I would never have thought about looking for gold in Indiana.

I'm a member of a loosely knit group in Georgia called Allatoona Gold Panners. I've been told there was more gold pulled out of the ground and streams in Cherokee County Georgia than in and around Dahlonega. So fare only a few fines and flakes. I'm just learning the ropes but it sure is fun being outside in some of the beautiful creeks nearby with a bunch of like minded friends.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@ricko said:
    Any idea of the source of the gold?.... Usually upstream...maybe some hills around there? Alluvial gold comes from somewhere..... Cheers, RickO

As AUandAG said, all the gold in the Midwest is from glacial drifts.....basically its Canada gold that was bulldozed down here during the last ice age.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options

Well... as we did in other areas, in stony creeks/streams...look for glory holes...those are deep depressions in the rock.... the gold will accumulate there... also the upper, inner part of tight bends in streams...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you find the big "pocket" of nuggets.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the purity of raw gold like this?

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:
    What is the purity of raw gold like this?

My best guess is somewhere between 18-22.

• Options

Judging from the color (if accurate in the picture), I would say that is a good guess... "Usually", the more yellow the nugget, the higher the purity... I have not confirmed that, it was told to me by people who did a lot of prospecting out West... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 4:39AM