Home Precious Metals

What is your personal GSR (gold to silver ratio)?

Current GSR is right around 71.5 to 1.

My personal stack is around 65 to 1.

Where are you at?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2017 7:58PM

silver to gold ratio is 76:1 and rising

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2017 5:25PM

Heavy platinum. Discount to gold was irresistible.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably one ounce of gold for every 200 ounces of silver.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 8:51AM

just a wild @$$ed guess.....50:1.

• ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe 20:1... as phrased in the title

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is everyone reading it the same way?
    To me, Gold to Silver ration means:

X ounces of gold for every Y ounces of silver.

So, if you have 10 ounces of gold, and 100 ounces of silver, your GSR would be: 1:10 or 10:100 (however you want to phrase it).

So, gold bugs would likely be on the higher side, right? Maybe 50 ounces of gold to 10 ounces of silver? 5:1 or 50:10?

7x:Y would be a pretty impressive amount...particularly if same person has more than 100ounces of silver ;)
    Heck, even 20:1 would be wowzas.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to do an inventory.... would not post it anyway... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I would have to do an inventory.... would not post it anyway... ;) Cheers, RickO

Why wouldn't you post it? The ratio does not give away any type of total ounces held. If I owned 3 silver eagles and a 1/20th oz gold coin, my ratio would be 60-1. Its just a ratio, not a packing list.

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Is everyone reading it the same way?
    To me, Gold to Silver ration means:

X ounces of gold for every Y ounces of silver.

So, if you have 10 ounces of gold, and 100 ounces of silver, your GSR would be: 1:10 or 10:100 (however you want to phrase it).

So, gold bugs would likely be on the higher side, right? Maybe 50 ounces of gold to 10 ounces of silver? 5:1 or 50:10?

7x:Y would be a pretty impressive amount...particularly if same person has more than 100ounces of silver ;)
    Heck, even 20:1 would be wowzas.

Gold to silver ratio is always expressed by the number of ounces of SILVER required to equal 1 ounce of gold. That's why you hear numbers like 15 to 1, 47 to 1, 85 to 1, etc. Ask anyone in the metals industry what the current "gold to silver raio" is, and 99/100 times, it will be expressed as above, and NOT 1 to 71.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2017 9:29AM

In 1792, the gold/silver price ratio was fixed by law in the United States at 15:1, which meant that one troy ounce of gold was worth 15 troy ounces of silver. Yep it is backwards.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between not posting inventory and not posting pics and not selling......................
    I need to emulate @ricko more. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 11:52AM

@ricko said:

After all these years I believe its well guarded and better stocked compared to Fort Knox. B)

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes.... remember 'Two can keep a secret if one is dead.'..... :D Cheers, RickO

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've probably got 100 times as many ounces of silver as gold, but many coins of both metals are worth significant multiples of melt. In value terms, the ratio is much lower, maybe 10 to one or something.. and then there are copper, nickel, and platinum..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think @Bochiman raised a valid point :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is out of wack. I have less than half an ounce of gold, but a couple hundred ounces of silver. I just buy what I like when I see it with no real plan (Other than holding long term)

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

X:Y where X = 0 or greater and Y = ∞ or less

I may be a bit noncommital on this one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

_Gold to silver ratio is always expressed by the number of ounces of SILVER required to equal 1 ounce of gold. _

I use a ratio based on value, but I also keep track of total ounces. I was trying to keep a ratio of 1:2:1 but it got away from me and it's more like 15:70:15 these days. Platinum:Gold:Silver

Keeping a ratio of ounces wouldn't help me manage my finances as well as just looking at ounces.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2017 6:41PM

Way (way) too many silver

Not enough platinum, Not enough gold

Working on it

• creekdaltoncreekdalton Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

About 12 to 1. I try to stay around one ounce of gold to each troy pound of silver.

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Too heavy/vs/not heavy enough. (sgr that is)

COA
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 1 to 7, gold to silver

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I am a bit out of wack too..... .75 oz of gold to 400 oz of silver