Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last 3 hunts: 6 silver dimes, flat buttons, 2-cent piece, and nice 16.1 gram silver ring!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

Finally got some time to make a post, so might as well do a consolidated one.

Hunt 1- got several flat buttons at the 1700s farm!

2) hit Silver Beach on Sunday. Didn't touch the muddy messy area and simply stayed on the dry sand area. Started slow, but ended pretty well. There's a lack of jewelry there, but that's ok - ended with 25 wheat cents, 5 silver Roosevelts, and a silver merc - not too bad!

3) got out today to a couple older sites with my buddy. First site yielded an 1871 2-cent piece, high grade 1902 IHC, some kind of jewelry?, and a monster 16.1 gram silver ring. Not sure on age, but it may be older. Nothing on the inside but the outside of the band has a couple stamps - one looks like "PB" separated by a wheel of some kind. What do you guys think of age? I'm thinking not U.S. or British. Maybe @Zot can offer some input with his worldly knowledge?? Funny because RR are my initials, and it fits my ring finger too! Destiny.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some busy hunts.... and nice finds... that IHC is very, very nice... cool ring as well.... silver dimes too... Really nice finds... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Great stuff, and I like how the ring fits and has your initials! Maybe the land is trying to tell you to come back and hunt again :)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

you had a nice hunt there. theres some good stuff there :)

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super bunch of finds. Large number of wheat cents. What is the most wheats that you have found in one hunt.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

Let's see for wheats in one hunt...

In 2009 my best wheat hunt had 13
    2010 had a 19 wheat cent hunt
    2011 also had a 19 wheat hunt
    2012 was a really good year for wheats. Had my highest ever hunt with 58 wheat cents (also 20 silver coins), a second hunt had 55 wheats. Also had a 32 wheat hunt, and a 29 wheat hunt. Ended the year with 540 wheat cents
    2013 had a 44 wheat hunt
    2014 took a dip - best wheat day was 14
    2015's best hunt was 29
    2016 best hunt had 15 wheats
    2017 so far the best is 25

• Options

@pcgs69.....Two things amaze me .....one, the large quantities of wheat finds in a single hunt (2012) and two, the incredible records you keep.... :o Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Very nice finds!
    My first thought on the silver hallmark (based on its shape) is that it might be a French maker's mark.

I could be wrong of course, but if you want to pursue this idea and have a go at identifying it, I'd suggest this site:

silvercollection.it/frenchsilversmiths.html

Certainty about the letters helps a lot, especially if you're certain that the first letter is a P.
    I assume that the symbol is a gear wheel (roue d'engrenage, or translate pages when browsing). There are plenty of French maker's marks with a gear wheel. As most marks in the link only have descriptions (not pictures), you'd then need to do some further googling or searching e.g. on French ebay after identifying a potential maker.

-Z

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 8:32AM

I found 22 Wheats in the same hole once. Almost all were 1944 coins which were new when lost or buried. There were a few other dates including a worn 1917-S, though. I'm thinking it was a "kiddie cache", though there were no telltale marbles or toy soldiers or dinosaurs mixed in.

Nice work as usual! Sharp IHC!

You need to wear that ring for luck.

The last lucky token I dug happened to be a holey, so I still wear it on my dig cap:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7Ej9pCmaQ

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

Nice video LordM..... Thanks, Cheers, RickO