Home Precious Metals
Options

Raw or Wrapped???

How do you like your bullion? I personally despise sterile plastic covered metals, and try to avoid them as much as possible. There are a very few instances where I bought some metal, and it came wrapped, and I just didn't have the heart to break it out.....like the 40 RMC/APMEX 10oz co-branded bars I recently got from an APMEX "secondary market" special deal on 10oz bars (29cents over). I was expecting 40 dinged up, toned to hell, scruffy various manufacturer bars, but received 40 pristine new in plastic bars. Oh well.

So do you guys like it raw or wrapped?

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 2:03PM

I like my old silver raw. Newer shiny stuff is fine in plastic imho.

*edited to add, that is a killer 4 oz bar!

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Raw would be my preference. Either way it does not diminish the value of the bar . Like the one you are holding above that must be nice in hand.

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@Geckster109 said:
    How do you like your bullion? I personally despise sterile plastic covered metals, and try to avoid them as much as possible. There are a very few instances where I bought some metal, and it came wrapped, and I just didn't have the heart to break it out.....like the 40 RMC/APMEX 10oz co-branded bars I recently got from an APMEX "secondary market" special deal on 10oz bars (29cents over). I was expecting 40 dinged up, toned to hell, scruffy various manufacturer bars, but received 40 pristine new in plastic bars. Oh well.

I'd like that raw in my safe please sir. How much ya want for it?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:

@Geckster109 said:

I'd like that raw in my safe please sir. How much ya want for it?

Sold that one about 3 years ago for something stupid....I think I got like $650 for it back then. Would not surprise me at all to see this sell for well north of $1,000 today though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not buy poured bars.... however, I like my coins and rounds in pristine, as minted, condition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave the Maple leaves in their original packaging. I've even left my Geiger bars in their shrink wrap.
    However with poured bars, I definitely prefer them without any packaging on them.

• Options

Nice 4oz bar!

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@Geckster109 u definitely could sale for closer to a grand now to the right buyer. I can't find 3-4-4-7-25oz Engelhard pours anywhere

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

A good portion of my packaged silver show some affects. 1oz bars/rounds in their original plastic have bad spots, Littleton ASE's toned edges, white marks in my pcgs slabbed 69's.

COA
  • Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:
    @Geckster109 u definitely could sale for closer to a grand now to the right buyer. I can't find 3-4-4-7-25oz Engelhard pours anywhere

I have owned 2 of the 4oz bars, and 1 of the 7oz bars. To put their rarity in perspective, I have owned close to 20 of the 3oz bars! I think the prices being realized on the 3oz bars is completely inflated.....some of them sell for close to $400! They are tough to find for sure, but MANY times easier to find than the 4 or 7 varieties.

• Options

There is something special about those old poured Engelhards. Especially the odd sized ones.

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely RAW

• Options

@cmanbb said:
    Definitely RAW

Are those made by Engelhard? Extremely cool!!!!

• Options

@asheland said:

@cmanbb said:
    Definitely RAW

Are those made by Engelhard? Extremely cool!!!!

Engelhard Bar W/ Silvertowne counterstamp,

• Options

Those are very cool!!!

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

This is the only bar I have currently. I definintely like it raw, since it tend to play with it throughout the day.

• Options

Definitely RAW